Calculating Magnetic Flux from Induced Voltage in Proximity Coils

In summary: If coil 1 is a simple wound coil and coil 2 is a constant impedance coil, then you would measure the voltage in coil 2 and use Ohm's Law to find out how much flux is passing through coil 1.Hi all,I have setup a small experiment with a pulsing coil--Coil 1 to produce a pulsed magnetic flux, say we do not know the specifications of this coil like number of turns on the windings, voltage to the coil, flux density etc.There is another coil--Coil 2 of known specifications placed in close proximity to this coil 1 which is creating a voltage in coil 2 from being induced from the pulsed coil.My question is:Is it possible to
burnit
Hi All,

I have setup a small experiment with a pulsing coil--Coil 1 to produce a pulsed magnetic flux, say we do not know the specifications of this coil like number of turns on the windings, voltage to the coil, flux density etc.

There is another coil --Coil 2 of known specifications placed in close proximity to this coil 1 which is creating a voltage in coil 2 from being induced from the pulsed coil.

My question is:
Is it possible to calculate the magnetic flux produced from Coil 1 if we were to measure the voltage produced in coil 2 of known specifications?

Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
I forgot to ask another question:

What is the correct term to use for how magnetic flux travels through different types of materials, water, air, soil etc.
Is this the same as Acoustic properties of various materials?

Is there a site i can look up to see what effect different materials have on magnetic flux travel?

Hope this made sense?

To answer your first question, basically, no you can't. The magnetic flux, and flux intensity are proportional to NI.

N is the number of turns. I is the current. Without any information as to the signal driving the coil, you uniquely determine neither I nor N.

Hi Phrak,

Please excuse my ignorance here on the subject but it sounds strange that if we know the driving coil specifications & driving signal etc we could calculate the required coil specifications to produce X voltage in coil 2, if i have this correct.

Why is it that we can have a voltage produced from coil 2 of a known specification & not know what magnetic flux it takes to produce it?

burnit said:
Hi Phrak,

Please excuse my ignorance here on the subject but it sounds strange that if we know the driving coil specifications & driving signal etc we could calculate the required coil specifications to produce X voltage in coil 2, if i have this correct.

Why is it that we can have a voltage produced from coil 2 of a known specification & not know what magnetic flux it takes to produce it?

Umm...Originally you stated that the nature of the driving coil wasn't known. Maybe we've all been talking at odds...

After some careful re-reading of your question, I think I'm mistaken, either way. It depends.

I'll assume your coils are axially aligned and that coil one is being driven by a sine wave generator. By flux, I assume you mean the total flux.
[tex]\Phi =\int B\cdot da[/tex]

If you don't know the dimensions of coil one you really can't know how much of it's flux is passing through the second coil.

I would guess that there are things you are taking for granted, after working with it, like it's orientation, it's axis, its diameter and length, how close you can put it to the second coil... I'd blithely assumed these were unknowns.

I need more specifics. Is it sine wave driven?

Last edited:
Hi all.
There seems to be a variable of wire diameter left out of both the Amatuer Radio Relay Leagues and your post that is, isn't the distance inverse inductance affected? Shouldn't this matter? I have many concurrences that suggest so.

burnit said:
Hi All,

My question is:
Is it possible to calculate the magnetic flux produced from Coil 1 if we were to measure the voltage produced in coil 2 of known specifications?

Thank You

Since I've done this for commercial products, I can say that you can only know the flux produced by coil 1 that also links coil 2. And, to be more correct, you must say something about the impedance.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the Greek letter phi (Φ) and is measured in units of weber (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area of the surface (A) it is passing through. The equation is Φ = B x A.

3. What is the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a surface, while magnetic flux density (B) is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point. B is related to Φ by the equation B = Φ / A.

4. What are some real-world applications of magnetic flux calculation?

Magnetic flux calculation is used in a variety of fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to design and analyze magnetic circuits, motors, generators, and other devices that use magnetic fields.

5. Are there any factors that can affect magnetic flux calculation?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect magnetic flux calculation, such as the shape and orientation of the surface, the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and the presence of other materials that may alter the field. In some cases, these factors may need to be taken into account for accurate calculations.