1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux density and Hall probe

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    I'm planning an investigation on how magnetic flux density midway between opposite poles of 2 bar magnets varies with separation of the bar magnets (using a Hall Probe). [simply as shown in attachment]

To do this, I'll need to calibrate a hall probe (which I think is done by working out the p.d. (Hall pd) at a known magnetic field strength).

My initial thoughts were that I could use a long straight wire of known current, and use [tex] B \ = \ \frac{\mu_0 I }{2 \pi \ r} [/tex]
    however, this would not work would it? Due to non-uniform magnetic field.

Is the best approach to use a "Helmholtz coil" to get a uniform field- and use the formula given here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coils ?

I've never come across this before, so any help / hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2
    gee u got this paper early
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?