1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux help

1. Mar 15, 2006 #1
    I have a question dealing with magnetic flux that I cannot seem to get. Please help

Question= A 2m conductor is formed into a square and placed in the xy plane. a magnetic field is oriented 30 degrees above the horizontal with a strength of 6T. What is the magnetic flux through the conductor?
    I would solve this by using the equation: Flux = BAcos(theta) = (6T)(2^2)cos30 = 20.8
    however this answer is incorrect. can anyone tell me what im doing wrong
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you want the angle the field makes with the normal to the plane of the square - not 30 degrees.
  4. Mar 15, 2006 #3
    ok, can you help me find the angle needed for the equation.
  5. Mar 15, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would draw a diagram. Draw the plane as a horizontal line, then draw in the normal. Next draw in a line representing the magnetic field, lable the angle between the magnetic field and the plane. You want the angle between the magnetic field and the normal.

Hope this helps :smile:
  6. Mar 16, 2006 #5
    Theta would be the angle between the Field and the Area Vector.

Try using your hands :-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?