1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Flux Question

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal rectangular surface has dimensions 3.10cm by 3.05cm and is in a uniform magnetic field that is directed at an angle of 34.5∘ above the horizontal. What must the magnitude of the magnetic field be in order to produce a flux of 4.5E-4 Wb through the surface?

2. Relevant equations

Magnetic Flux = BAcos(θ)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the above equation, I solved for B, getting B=Flux/Acos(θ)
    I then plugged in my numbers: (4.5*10^-4)/((.0305)(.031)cos(34.5)) and got that B should equal 0.5775T. However, it says the answer is wrong, any ideas what I did wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'd suggest that you make a sketch. You're looking for the flux through a horizontal surface, which means you want the vertical component of the B field...

Alternatively, take a vector equation approach and construct vectors for B and the area normal, then expand

##\Phi = \vec{B}\cdot (A\vec{n})##
  4. Oct 9, 2013 #3
    So how do I go about finding that, though? I understand that I need the vertical component, but I have no idea how to set it up if all I know is the angle?
  5. Oct 9, 2013 #4

Make a sketch! Draw a horizontal line to show your area of interest in profile. Draw a vector or two representing the B field. What angle do you need? You can also choose the appropriate trig function and use the angle as given.

You want the component of B that's parallel to the surface normal of your area.

Attached Files:

• Fig1.gif
      File size:
      1.2 KB
  6. Oct 9, 2013 #5
    Okay, so I would say that B_n (normal component of the B field) = Bsin(34.5), then I can do the flux divided by sin(34.5) times the area, so I have B=4.5*10^-4/((sin34.5)(.031)(.0305)). That way I get B=0.84?
  7. Oct 9, 2013 #6

Sure. Add the appropriate units and you're good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted