1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Flux through a loop:

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A single-turn square loop of side L is centered on the axis of a long solenoid. In addition, the plane of the square loop is perpendicular to the axis of the solenoid. The solenoid has 1350 turns per meter and a diameter of 5.55 cm, and carries a current of 2.20A

2. Relevant equations
    Magnetic Field (B) of a solenoid: B = [tex]\mu_{0}[/tex]*(N/L)*I
    Where [tex]\mu_{0} = 4pi * 10^{-7} T*m/A[/tex] , N/L is loops per unit length, and I is current

[tex]\Phi = B*A*Cos\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried doing this: I use the Magnetic Field of a solenoid formula to find the magnetic field through the solenoid - because I know the magnetic field within the axis of the solenoid is constant, I thought I could just find the value of that constant B and then find the flux using the other formula for the different values of L (area) - and for areas larger than the circle of the solenoid - I could take the area of the flux as the area of the circle.

However, when I put my answer in, it tells me that the answer must be expressed in terms of L (I don't know if that's supposed to be the side length of the square or if it's supposed to be the length of the solenoid).

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Take the area of the loop as L^2 and find the flux through it.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    Oh, sorry: I forgot a bit of information:

There are three parts to the question:

A) Find the magnetic flux through the loop when L = 2.35 cm.

B) Find the magnetic flux through the loop when L = 5.55×10−2 cm

C) Find the magnetic flux through the loop when L = 12.5 cm

That's what I was getting confused about, since it gives you L - why is it asking you to put it in terms of L - or does it mean put it in terms of the length of the solenoid?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook