1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    I have been asked to explain what is meant by 'the flux of a magnetic field B through a surface' and to include the case where the field is NOT perpendicular to the plane of the surface.

This seems quite simple but i just wanted to check my definition with you guys

I have;

The flux of a magnetic field B through a surface is the the strength of the magnetic field over a given area A and is given by the equation magnetic flux=A*B

Where the field is NOT perpendicluar to the plane it is given by the inclined angle to the perpendicular and given by the equation A*Bcos(theta)

Is that pretty much it?
    Hope so :)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's OK, you are not saying anything incorrect. I am not sure though how complete your answer must be. For example, what happens when the surface is not a plane or when the magnetic field changes magnitude and/or direction from one point of the surface to the next. To get a better picture see the wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_flux

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    The quation just says; Expalin what is meant by"'the flux of a magnetic field B through a surface' Include the case where the magnetic field is NOT perpendicular to the plane of the surface.
    Its a level 2 course

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are fine with what you have then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook