Solving a DC Current Magnetic Flux Problem

In summary, the magnetic flux through half of the wire's cross section per one metre of it's length is zero.
Ellispson

Homework Statement

A direct current i=10 A flows in a long straight round conductor.Find the magnetic flux through half of the wire's cross section per one metre of it's length.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have spent quite a while thinking on this problem but I can't think of anything.I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with a hint of some sort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Ampere's law! (Hint: may be a trick question).

rude man said:
Okay so,the cross sectional area through which flux is to be found is shaped like a cylinder cut into half through the axis.
Now,if I look at the curved area,the magnetic field lines will be in the shape of concentric circles and they will not cut this curved surface area at all(Hence,flux through that will be 0)
Now,if I look at the straight part.I can use Ampere's law to calculate field strength at any point inside the wire.Now,the problem I face here is that,when I do this,I get a result which says that the amount of field lines entering the straight part to the left of the axis is equal to the amount of field lines leaving.This effectively gives me the flux as 0.
Could you please tell me where my error lies?

rude man said:
I also thought about ampere's law: Current Intensity(J)=I/A. But how would he find the magnetic flux without the charge enclosed in A.

The wording is somewhat nebulous. I read it that the area to be considered is a radius times 1 meter length of the wire.

(At first I thought they meant the flux thru half the circular cross-section, which is what's usually meant by a wire's cross-section. That would of couse be zero.)

But if you take the area described above it has area = radius times 1 meter. That area does have a net flux thru it. You need to use Ampere's law, assume the current is uniformly distributed within the circular cross-section, then do an integration
jackMybrain@ru said:
I also thought about ampere's law: Current Intensity(J)=I/A. But how would he find the magnetic flux without the charge enclosed in A.
The charge is not the issue. The issue is current which sets up the mag. field within the wire.

rude man said:
The wording is somewhat nebulous. I read it that the area to be considered is a radius times 1 meter length of the wire.

(At first I thought they meant the flux thru half the circular cross-section, which is what's usually meant by a wire's cross-section. That would of couse be zero.)

But if you take the area described above it has area = radius times 1 meter. That area does have a net flux thru it. You need to use Ampere's law, assume the current is uniformly distributed within the circular cross-section, then do an integration

The charge is not the issue. The issue is current which sets up the mag. field within the wire.
Radius times one metre?I don't think I understand.How would that be half of the cross section?

Ellispson said:
Radius times one metre?I don't think I understand.How would that be half of the cross section?
Well, it's weird to be sure. But if you look at the wire end-on (at the circular cross-section) then the radius is one-half the diameter and so might be what they had in mind.

If you pick the whole diameter the answer would be zero since the flux would go in one radius and out the opposite radius.

rude man said:
Well, it's weird to be sure. But if you look at the wire end-on (at the circular cross-section) then the radius is one-half the diameter and so might be what they had in mind.

If you pick the whole diameter the answer would be zero since the flux would go in one radius and out the opposite radius.
Oh oh oh I get it now.Thanks a lot..

1. What is a DC current magnetic flux problem?

A DC current magnetic flux problem is a scientific puzzle that involves calculating the strength and direction of magnetic fields created by a direct current (DC) flowing through a conductor. It typically involves using mathematical equations and principles of electromagnetism to determine the magnetic flux density at different points in the conductor.

2. What are the main steps to solve a DC current magnetic flux problem?

The main steps to solve a DC current magnetic flux problem include:

1. Identifying the given parameters, such as the magnitude and direction of the current, the conductor's dimensions, and the magnetic permeability of the material.
  2. Applying Ampere's law to determine the magnetic field intensity at different points in the conductor.
  3. Using the magnetic field intensity to calculate the magnetic flux density at each point using the formula B = μH, where μ is the magnetic permeability and H is the magnetic field intensity.
  4. Summing up the magnetic flux density contributions from each point to get the total magnetic flux density in the conductor.

3. What are some common applications of solving DC current magnetic flux problems?

Solving DC current magnetic flux problems has many practical applications, including:

• Designing and optimizing electromagnetic devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers.
  • Calculating the magnetic fields in electrical systems to ensure safety and minimize interference with other devices.
  • Determining the magnetic field strength and direction in materials used for magnetic shielding or in medical imaging devices.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when solving a DC current magnetic flux problem?

One of the main challenges of solving a DC current magnetic flux problem is accurately accounting for all the variables and parameters involved. This can include factors such as the shape and orientation of the conductor, the presence of other magnetic fields, and the non-uniformity of the material's magnetic properties. Additionally, the calculations involved in solving these problems can be complex and time-consuming.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help solve DC current magnetic flux problems?

Yes, there are various software programs and tools available that can assist in solving DC current magnetic flux problems. These include simulation software that uses mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of magnetic fields, as well as online calculators that can quickly compute the magnetic flux density at different points in a conductor. However, it is essential to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and equations involved in order to use these tools effectively.