Determine the maximum magnetic flux through an inductor

In summary, the maximum magnetic flux through an inductor connected to a standard outlet is determined by ΔVmax = 120*√2 and ω = 2Πf = 120Π.
gnome
I'm sure I'm going to kick myself when someone shows me the way, but there's a limit to how long I can stare at this question...

Determine the maximum magnetic flux through an inductor connected to a standard outlet (ΔVrms = 120 V., f = 60 Hz.)

That's all that's given.

I know that ΔVmax = 120*√2 and ω = 2Πf = 120Π and I think the magnetic flux will be at a maximum when the current is at a maximum, and
Imax = (ΔVmax) / (ω L) so

Imax = (120*√2) /(120ΠL)

Also, ΦB = I*L/N so I get

ΦB = (120*√2) /(120Π N)

but I have no idea what the value of N is for the inductor, & I can't see any way to get rid of that N. :frown:

(edited to correct 60 x 2 = 120, not 100 )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, thanks Arcnets, that's basically the answer. My objection is that ΦB = IL if there's only one turn.

As you found in that Wolfram link, it comes from Faraday's
ε = -dΦB/dt
and
dΦB/dt ~ dI/dt (using ~ to mean proportional to)

From that, the inductance L is defined as the proportionality constant, so

dΦB/dt = L*dI/dt

and then, by integrating we get

ΦB = L* I

My objection is that in a coil with N turns, the inductance is
L = (NΦB)/I
and any inductor in a circuit is going to have more than 1 turn, so it seems to me that the question was, to say the least, ambiguous.

But, I asked the professor about it today and, yes, his answer was that the question "meant" the total flux through all the turns, in other words, they were looking for the value of N * ΦB, which of course is just
(120*√2) /(120Π) = .450 T*m2

Did you kick yourself?

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is made up of a coil of wire and is often used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current.

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is measured in units of Weber (Wb) and is represented by the symbol Φ.

How is the maximum magnetic flux through an inductor determined?

The maximum magnetic flux through an inductor is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the size of the inductor. It is calculated using the formula Φ = LI, where L is the inductance of the coil and I is the current flowing through it.

What factors affect the maximum magnetic flux through an inductor?

The maximum magnetic flux through an inductor is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, the current flowing through the coil, and the shape and size of the inductor.

Why is it important to determine the maximum magnetic flux through an inductor?

Determining the maximum magnetic flux through an inductor is important for designing and optimizing electronic circuits. It helps ensure that the inductor can handle the necessary amount of current and prevents damage to the circuit. It also allows for the efficient use of space and materials in the design process.