Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flywheel

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

This is a poorly posed question but i do not know another way to ask so,
    a magnetic flywheel is rotating at X rpm, a weakly attracted much smaller
    body is attracted to the flywheel, at some point in the smaller bodier decent
    to the flywheel, can it be given some acceleration that will take it beyond
    the flywheels rpm?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2
    As long as one is able to apply additional energy in some fashion to the "smaller body" in such a way as to incite further acceleration, sure, it's possible.
    But I'm not sure from your description as to what you would hope to gain from this that could not be done more simply. Could you elaborate?

4. Mar 1, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Seems like you could get another magnetically-coupled disk to spin at twice the angular velocity or more. Certainly steady state you could, as long as the magnetic pulses lined up. I'm not sure about how best to create the startup transient for the 2nd disk though....

5. Mar 1, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Can you elaborate berkeman, it does not matter about the secondary spin rate, as long as it is higher than the primary.

6. Mar 1, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I guess I'm picturing something like a main flywheel with 4 magnetic poles per rotation, and a smaller flywheel with 2 poles per rotation. If the small one initially has 2x the angular velocity of the large one, and the poles are lined up to give a positive push from the large one to the small one each time the poles pass, then the small one will be stable at 2x the angular velocity of the large one. Seems like that would work. It's the initial spin-up part that I have trouble thinking of tricks to accomplish so far....

7. Mar 1, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

May be if the primary attractor had a mulltitude of poles, and secondary
    had been (spun up) by an outer influence.? thanks for your help it is welcome.

8. Mar 2, 2006 #7
    um i dont quite know what you were thinking of, but i have a vision. lol
    ok so lets be in space. we have a disk that is big.. no need to be specific.
    on this disk there are 4 mountains of rare earth at 4 corners. it is spining perfectly like a wheel apon an axis. a asteroid of iron is incoming on a path that will just miss the edge of the disk. the iron is attracted to the magnetic rare earth, so it changes the path that the astroid was on. the astroid instead, starts to circle arroud the disk and balance the magnetic pull with its inertia. could the astroid develope an escape velocity that is greater than its entrance velocity?

9. Mar 2, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

If the asteroid is (captured) by the magnetic disc then no, but what about
    the sling shot effect used by satalites.

10. Jul 30, 2008 #9
    Only the bearings are magnetic and have no spin, they are static as to rotation and the wheel is not magnetic. so there would be no effect on another body. At least none to make it spin.

11. Aug 10, 2010 #10
    i know this is an old dead topic (its amazing what you can find on google) but maybe my posting will bring it to everyone's attention this kinda pertains to something i am working on. please note i have no idea about physics just a nagging dream about this thing with a motor and magnates so i figure with the blue prints in my head, build it and find out the messed up parts is it changes as i learn more about what i am doing upgrading just a little like adding a braking system based on heat and on manual shut off for control purposes.... yeah i'm insane but aren't we all a little insane besides if it helps the world who cares about me

anywho what would the X RPMs of a magnetic flywheel be to get optimum Amps and Volts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?