How Does Current Affect Magnetic Force and Torque in a Rotating Loop?

In summary: Toreque can be expressed as force time distance from the pivot (\tau = Fd). If we assume that the coil is pivoted in the middle of the short side, we can say that d = 90mm. Thus, this leaves the unkowns as I and F. I know you have to make an assumption, but I think it is a valid one. :smile:
kidia
I have a question here

A rectangular plane loop with dimensions 250 mm by 180 mm is pivoted to rotate about the z axis. The long side of the loop is along the y-axis and the plane of the loop makes an angle of 45 degrees with the y-axis. If a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 300 mT is in the y direction: (a) Determine the magnitude and direction of the force of each side of the loop. (b) Determine the torque about the z axis.

I know that F=BILsin theta and Torque=BAIsin theta my problem here is how to get the current I

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably no one here will give you the answer because this sounds like a homework problem and you should not expect others to do your homework for you.

R

Please Rtharbaugh1 if this problem is challenging to you,leave others to work on it.

Think about using simultaneous equations :smile: Write down what you know and what you want to know.

kidia said:
I have a question here

A rectangular plane loop with dimensions 250 mm by 180 mm is pivoted to rotate about the z axis. The long side of the loop is along the y-axis and the plane of the loop makes an angle of 45 degrees with the y-axis. If a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 300 mT is in the y direction: (a) Determine the magnitude and direction of the force of each side of the loop. (b) Determine the torque about the z axis.

I know that F=BILsin theta and Torque=BAIsin theta my problem here is how to get the current I

As far as I can tell, there is no way to answer without additional input. You are right, we need to be able to find the current and we can't with only this. Are you sure you copied the entire problem?

nrqed said:
As far as I can tell, there is no way to answer without additional input. You are right, we need to be able to find the current and we can't with only this. Are you sure you copied the entire problem?

I disagree, you have the flux density, the length of the conductor, the angle, the area of the conductor, you can also calculate the distance from the pivot to the applied force, thus you can equate the two formulas stated.

That's how I see it, if I'm missing something (likely) please let me know.:smile:

Hootenanny said:
I disagree, you have the flux density, the length of the conductor, the angle, the area of the conductor, you can also calculate the distance from the pivot to the applied force, thus you can equate the two formulas stated.

That's how I see it, if I'm missing something (likely) please let me know.:smile:

I am not sure what you mean by flux density. I did not notice any information about magnetic flux or flux density...

Regards

Pat

kidia said:
If a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 300 mT is in the y direction:

Flux density is measure in Tesla's (T), therefore the magnetic flux density is 300 mT. The two unknows in the equations Kidia posted are Force and Current. You can eliminate force and thus calculate the current. :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_flux_density for more info on Magnetic Flux Density. :smile:

Hootenanny said:
Flux density is measure in Tesla's (T), therefore the magnetic flux density is 300 mT. The two unknows in the equations Kidia posted are Force and Current. You can eliminate force and thus calculate the current. :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_flux_density for more info on Magnetic Flux Density. :smile:

Ok...Thanks. It's the first time that I see the magnetic field called this way:redface:

But he still cannot solve without more input. There are *3* unknowns in his two equations: I, F and the torque. he is asked to find the force and the torque so I assume that the current must be provided in the question. without that, there is no way to calculate the force and teh torque.

Patrick

nrqed said:
Ok...Thanks. It's the first time that I see the magnetic field called this way:redface:

But he still cannot solve without more input. There are *3* unknowns in his two equations: I, F and the torque. he is asked to find the force and the torque so I assume that the current must be provided in the question. without that, there is no way to calculate the force and teh torque.

Patrick

Toreque can be expressed as force time distance from the pivot ([itex]\tau = Fd[/itex]). If we assume that the coil is pivoted in the middle of the short side, we can say that d = 90mm. Thus, this leaves the unkowns as I and F. I know you have to make an assumption, but I think it is a valid one. :smile:

Hootenanny said:
Toreque can be expressed as force time distance from the pivot ([itex]\tau = Fd[/itex]). If we assume that the coil is pivoted in the middle of the short side, we can say that d = 90mm. Thus, this leaves the unkowns as I and F. I know you have to make an assumption, but I think it is a valid one. :smile:

I know, but this equation is not linearly independent of the two already given! (use this with the equation for the force and you will end up with the equation for torque already given!). So no new information there.

I challenge you (in a friendly way) to find numerical values for F and [itex] \tau [/itex] with no value of the current provided :shy:

I (friendly) accept your challange sir :biggrin:

:blushing: Nrqed, I conceed. You are quite right, the current is required.:blushing:

Hootenanny said:
:blushing: Nrqed, I conceed. You are quite right, the current is required.:blushing:

:shy: Thanks for being fair play!

What is the difference between magnetic force and torque?

Magnetic force refers to the attraction or repulsion between two magnetic objects, while torque is the rotational force experienced by an object in a magnetic field.

How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force can be calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the object, v is the velocity of the object, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

What is the relationship between magnetic force and distance?

The strength of magnetic force decreases as the distance between two magnetic objects increases. This relationship follows an inverse-square law, meaning that doubling the distance will result in a quarter of the original force.

Can magnetic force and torque be used for propulsion?

Yes, magnetic force and torque can be used for propulsion in certain situations, such as in magnetic levitation trains or in spacecraft using magnetic torque to control their orientation in space.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force and torque?

The strength of magnetic force and torque is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between objects, and the angle and velocity of the objects in relation to the magnetic field. Additionally, the magnetic properties of the objects themselves can also impact the strength of the force and torque.