Exploring the Magnetic Force and Torque on a Current-Carrying Wire

In summary, the force on QP is zero, while on PR it is directed inside the plane with a magnitude of 0.8IB. On QR, the force is directed out of the plane with a magnitude of 0.8IB, determined by using the formula ##1IB\sin(\arctan(0.8/0.6))=0.8IB##. When subtracted, the forces on QR and PR cancel each other out, resulting in a total force of zero. The object will rotate outside of the page and the torque vector should be directed to the right. It is not clear where the magnetic force on QR is applied exactly, but it can be determined by using the formula ##\tau
archaic
Homework Statement
The loop (negligible mass) in the figure is a right triangle in ##P##, and carries a current ##I = 500\,A##. A magnetic field of magnitude ##B=3.00\,T## and direction as shown in the figure fills the space.
a) Find the magnetic force (magnitude and direction) acting on each side of the loop.
b) Deduce the net force on the loop.
c) If the loop is pivoted about an axis lying along ##PR##, what is the magnitude of the net torque on the loop?
d) Will the loop rotate into or out of the plane?
Relevant Equations
Screenshot_2020-12-05_10-07-48.png

a) On QP, the force is zero.
On PR, the force is directed inside the plane, and its magnitude is ##0.8IB##.
On QR, the force is direction out of the plane, and its magnitude is ##1IB\sin(\arctan(0.8/0.6))=0.8IB##.
b) ##0.8IB-0.8IB=0##.
d) It will rotate outside of the page.
c) I know that the torque vector should be directed to the right because of d), but where is the magnetic force on QR applied to exactly? The centre?
I'm not really sure. Since the current is everywhere on QR, then should I look at every element of the wire and cross each force ##d\vec F## with the corresponding perpendicular distance vector from ##PR##, and integrate? Like ##\tau=\int||\vec r\times d\vec F||##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using ##\tau=\int||\vec r\times d\vec F||##, I find that ##\tau=0.6IB/2##, which would be the same result of if I have considered the magnetic force to be acting on the centre of ##QR##, and took ##r=0.3=0.6/2##.

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is the force exerted by a magnetic field on a magnetic object or a moving electric charge. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force is calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the object, v is the velocity of the object, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

What is the difference between magnetic force and electric force?

Magnetic force is the force exerted by a magnetic field on a magnetic object or a moving electric charge, while electric force is the force exerted by an electric field on an electrically charged object. Unlike electric force, magnetic force can only act on moving charges.

What is torque in relation to magnetic force?

Torque is the measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis. In the context of magnetic force, torque is the rotational force exerted on a magnetic object or a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic force and torque?

Magnetic force and torque have various real-life applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in compasses, speakers, and hard drives.