Magnetic force between 3 straight wires

In summary, to find I2, we can use the formula F = (mu0*I1*I2)/(2*pi*r) and set it equal to the force exerted on wire 1 by wire 2 and wire 3. Since the net force on wire 1 is 0, these forces must be equal and opposite, allowing us to solve for I2. The distance between wire 1 and wire 2 can be used as the distance r in the formula.
kiewelb
Find I2 so that the magnetic force per unit length on each wire is zero. The three parallel wires are equally spaced. Current directions are shown with '<' or '>'.

I1 = I3 = 1 A

< I1 < I1 < I1
---------------
> I2 > I2 > I2
---------------
< I3 < I3 < I3
---------------

I have the formula F = (mu0*I*I')/(2*pi*r) with mu0 = 4*pi*10^-7 but have no clue where to take this to figure out I2 with the 3 wires.

Sorry if this is really easy but I'm not too quick with Physics. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
r in the formula is the distance between 2 wires. So let r = distance between wire 1 and wire 2. Then the distance between wire 1 and wire 3 is ______?

Next, use that formula to find the force exerted on wire 1 by wire 2, and the force exerted on wire 1 by wire 3. If the NET force on wire 1 is 0, those two forces must be equal in magnitude & opposite in direction so set the two F's equal to each other & solve for I2.

To find the value of I2 that will result in a magnetic force per unit length of zero on each wire, we can use the principle of superposition. This means that the total force on a wire is the sum of the forces due to each individual wire. In this case, we have three wires, so we can set up three equations to solve for I2.

First, let's consider the force on the top wire (I1) due to the other two wires (I2 and I3). Since the wires are equally spaced, the distance between I1 and I2 is the same as the distance between I1 and I3. This means that we can use the same value for r in both calculations. The force on I1 due to I2 is given by F12 = (mu0*I1*I2)/(2*pi*r) and the force on I1 due to I3 is given by F13 = (mu0*I1*I3)/(2*pi*r). Since we want the total force on I1 to be zero, we can set F12 + F13 = 0 and solve for I2:

(mu0*I1*I2)/(2*pi*r) + (mu0*I1*I3)/(2*pi*r) = 0
I2 + I3 = 0
I2 = -I3

Next, let's consider the force on the middle wire (I2) due to the other two wires (I1 and I3). Again, using the principle of superposition, we can set up the equation F21 + F23 = 0 and solve for I2:

(mu0*I2*I1)/(2*pi*r) + (mu0*I2*I3)/(2*pi*r) = 0
I1 + I3 = 0
I1 = -I3

Finally, let's consider the force on the bottom wire (I3) due to the other two wires (I1 and I2). Again, using the principle of superposition, we can set up the equation F31 + F32 = 0 and solve for I2:

(mu0*I3*I1)/(2*pi*r) + (mu0*I3*I2)/(2*pi*r) = 0
I1 + I2 = 0
I1 = -I2

We can see that all three equations lead to the same result: I2 = -I3 = -I

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic force between 3 straight wires?

The equation for calculating the magnetic force between 3 straight wires is F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic force?

The magnetic force between two wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic force decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic force between two parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic force between two parallel wires is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. This relationship is described by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, your palm will point in the direction of the magnetic force.

4. How does the current in the wires affect the magnetic force?

The magnetic force between two wires is directly proportional to the product of the currents in the wires. This means that as the current in either wire increases, the magnetic force increases as well.

5. What is the significance of the permeability of free space in the equation for magnetic force?

The permeability of free space, denoted by μ0, is a constant that represents the ability of a vacuum to support the formation of magnetic fields. It plays a crucial role in the calculation of the magnetic force between two wires as it relates to the strength of the magnetic field generated by the current in the wires.