1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetic Force between two solenoids

1. Aug 3, 2017 #1
    Consider two thin and long, single layered identical solenoids with same DC in them, positioned coaxially. I'm trying to calculate the magnetic force on each solenoid, when there are identical magnetic cores inside them.

As seen in below, I have the general approximation to the force between two coaxial magnetic dipoles which are much smaller than the distance between them. And I have the calculation of the total magnetic dipole moment of a thin, long coil with a magnetic core.

By combining them, I found that the force is proportional to the relative permeability of the cores squared and to the permeability of the medium between the solenoids.

This seemed to be somewhat wrong to me because by inserting materials like pure iron or mu-metal, we could increase the force to tens of millions times higher than it was with air cores. I don't think it's possible in practice.

Is there something I'm missing or misunderstanding?

Thanks for your time.

Adsız8.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted