Why is the magnetic force directed downward in this scenario?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the right hand rule to determine the direction of force in a magnetic field, and the confusion over the answer that suggests the force is directed downward. The use of potential energy and the force equation is also mentioned, with the explanation that the force is a result of a non-uniform magnetic field. It is also noted that the force is an attraction towards a region of stronger magnetic field, and the potential energy is more negative in that region. The summary concludes by thanking the person in advance for any further explanations.
Amaelle
Good day All!
while trying to solve this question
coil 1.png

I use the right hand rule and according to it the Force should be directed outward (pointing toward me)
but here is the answer that puzzeld me
coil 2.png

I really don't get why it is down , and would feel very grateful if someone can explain me the reason
thanks in advance!

Attachments

• coil 1.png
    coil 1.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 781
  • coil 2.png
    coil 2.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 795
Physics news on Phys.org
The way I know how to work this one is to use potential energy ## E=-\mu \cdot B ##, and use the force ## F=-\nabla E ##. The first equation comes about because torque ## \tau=\mu \times B ## with a ## \sin(\theta) ## in the cross product, and the integral of ## E=\int \tau \, d \theta ## gives the ## \cos(\theta) ## which comes in the dot product ## E=- \mu \cdot B ##. ## \\ ## In a uniform magnetic field, a magnetic dipole can experience a torque, but no net force. The force is a result of the non-uniform magnetic field. In simple terms, the equation ## E=-\mu \cdot B ## will result in an attraction of a magnetic moment that is aligned with the magnetic field to a region of stronger magnetic field, because the potential energy ## E ## at the region of stronger magnetic field is more negative. The second equation ## F=-\nabla E ## is a quantitative expression of what I have just described qualitatively. ## \\ ## Notice also, if the magnetic moment is anti-parallel with the field, the dot product will make ## \cos(180^o)=-1 ##, and the potential energy ## E ## will be more positive if you move to a region of stronger magnetic field ## B ##.

Last edited:
Likes Amaelle
Thanks a lot!

Likes Charles Link

1. What is magnetic force direction?

Magnetic force direction refers to the direction in which a magnetic field will exert a force on a magnetic object or a moving charged particle.

2. How is magnetic force direction determined?

The direction of magnetic force is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current or motion, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the direction of magnetic force?

The direction of magnetic force is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the magnitude and direction of the current or motion, and the orientation of the object or particle in the magnetic field.

4. Can the direction of magnetic force be reversed?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force can be reversed by changing the direction of the current or motion, or by reversing the orientation of the object or particle in the magnetic field.

5. How is magnetic force direction used in everyday life?

Magnetic force direction is used in everyday life in various applications such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic compasses. It is also utilized in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in industrial processes for separating magnetic materials.