Exploring Magnetic Forces on Current: A Visual Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of visualizing the arrangement of wires and finding the magnetic force exerted on them. It is clarified that the wires are parallel and the distance between them is 50 cm, and that the cosine law is not necessary to solve the problem. The difference between two similar questions is also explained.
fight_club_alum
Homework Statement
Three long, straight, parallel wires all lie in the yz plane and each carries a current of 20
A in the positive z direction. The two outer wires are each 4.0 cm from the center wire.
What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on a 50-cm length of either of the outer
wires?
answer is 1.5 mN
Relevant Equations
f12 (l) = (uo * i1* i2)/(2pi * r)

This is how I visualize the problem (of course I am drawing this as if it is in the z-y axis); I don't know what will be the next step. Anyone please help me.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how the wires could be in a triangular arrangement if they all lie in the same plane. I'd imagine it'd something more like this:

Edit: By the way, your Relevant Equation, as stated, gives the force per unit length of the parallel wires.

Likes JD_PM and fight_club_alum
hey, thank you for replying to my question
If I put them that way they won't give 1.5 mT and I don't think we can use the cosine law in that case

fight_club_alum said:
hey, thank you for replying to my question
If I put them that way they won't give 1.5 mT and I don't think we can use the cosine law in that case
No need to use the cosine law. Check out my edit to my post above.

Likes fight_club_alum
Aren't those wires parallel, and the length is 50 cm?

fight_club_alum said:
Aren't those wires parallel, and the length is 50 cm?
The wires are "long" and parallel. You're only concerned with a 50 cm segment of each of the outer wires.

Likes fight_club_alum
gneill said:
The wires are "long" and parallel. You're only concerned with a 50 cm segment of each of the outer wires.
does it give that answer if you do so? if Yes, can you tell the difference between this question and that question, please: Three long, straight, parallel wires each carry a current of 10 A in the positive x-direction. If the distance between each wire and the other two is 10 cm, what is the magnitude of the magnetic force on a 20-cm length of either of the wires?
Because that way doesn't give the answer in both and I, honestly, can't find a difference?
(note: for the second question, I had to draw an equilateral triangle and use the cosine law)

fight_club_alum said:
does it give that answer if you do so?
Yes.
if Yes, can you tell the difference between this question and that question, please: Three long, straight, parallel wires each carry a current of 10 A in the positive x-direction. If the distance between each wire and the other two is 10 cm, what is the magnitude of the magnetic force on a 20-cm length of either of the wires?
There they specify that the distances between all the wires is the same: 10 cm. That forces a triangular arrangement and they will not all lie in the same plane.

Likes fight_club_alum
gneill said:
Yes.

There they specify that the distances between all the wires is the same: 10 cm. That forces a triangular arrangement and they will not all lie in the same plane.
Yes, I understand now what is happening
Thank you so much for clarifying; after the first couple of questions, all involved a triangular arrangement I thought these questions can't be solved without the cosine law!
Thank you so much again for clarifying

Glad I could help!

Likes fight_club_alum

1. What is magnetic force due to current?

The magnetic force due to current is the force that is exerted on a current-carrying wire when placed in a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic force due to current calculated?

The magnetic force due to current can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of magnetic force due to current?

The strength of the magnetic force due to current is affected by the magnitude of the current, the length of the wire, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

4. In which direction does magnetic force due to current act?

The magnetic force due to current acts in a direction perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. It follows the right-hand rule, with the thumb pointing in the direction of the current, the fingers pointing in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm facing in the direction of the force.

5. How is magnetic force due to current used in everyday life?

Magnetic force due to current is used in many everyday devices, such as electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains and in medical equipment such as MRI machines.