1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force from BIL

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a rectangular loop submerged in uniform magnetic field, where all but one edge is in the field, and I am given W (length), Bo, R (resistance), L (self-inductance), m.

I am to find v(t), y(t), and i(t). when R = 0 and L =/ 0 (L is NOT =0)

2. Relevant equations

Fnet = m(dv/dt) = Fexternal - Fmagnetic

Fexternal = mg

Emfinduced = Vinduced= -(dflux/dt) = v*B*W

Fmagnetic = Iinduced*W*Bo

Emfinduced = -L*(dI/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I think the result is that two parallel sides with induced currents in opposite directions will cancel out, and only one side, length W will contribute to force, because if total loop was submerged into B field region then force would be zero.

And, so, I solved this for the conditions R=/0 and L = 0 (R is NOT =0), so I have not included any equations with R because I am not using it, so what I am trying to do is solve it in similar fashion as before, using the equation of motion.

So I think I am to use again the Fmagnetic = Iinduced*W*Bo

What I am having trouble with is finding Fmagnetic in terms of Iinduced in terms of the given variables.
    I see that there is an equation relating flux to Iinduced, as well as Emfinduced to Iinduced

I'm not using the flux equation, because I don't see a differential area, because I am dealing with a wire here, or do I use the differential area covered by the whole rectangle even though there is no contribution from the two paralell wires?

My guess would be to again use:

Fmagnetic = Iinduced*W*Bo

and (dI/dt) = (vBoW/L) = (dy/dt)*(BoW/L)

and then divide out dt, because current over a change in time is not a current?
    so I get:

(dI) = (dy)*(BoW/L)

and so then I = y*(BoW/L)

and then use:

m(dv/dt) = Fexternal - Fmagnetic = mg - (y*(BoW/L)*WBo)

and integrate?

but I don't know if I can do this...

any help would be graetly appreciated
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?