Calculating Maximum Magnetic Force on Electrons in a Television Set

In summary, the question asks to find the maximum magnetic force an electron can experience after being accelerated through a potential difference of 23 kV and passing through a 0.27 T magnetic field. This can be calculated using the equation F=qvb, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and b is the magnetic field strength. After correcting some errors in the attempted solution, the correct answer is found to be approximately 0.00968 N.
thompson.1674
magnetic force help ?

Homework Statement

In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 23 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.27 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

Homework Equations

.5mv^2
qvbsin=F

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what i have done but its not right:
23000=.5(9.11E-31)V^2
V=2.247E17
(1.6E-19)(2.247E17)(.27)=.00968 N

But is is not correct.
Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org

Kinetic energy=pd*charge of electron.

Hi thompson,

thompson.1674 said:

Homework Statement

In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 23 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.27 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

Homework Equations

.5mv^2
qvbsin=F

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what i have done but its not right:
23000=.5(9.11E-31)V^2

I don't believe this is correct. For the energy equation, you'll need the potential energy change on the left; do you see what you have instead? Notice that it does not have the right units.

V=2.247E17
The upper limit on the possible speed would be the speed of light in a vacuum, which is a bit under 3E8 m/s, and so right away you know that can't be correct. That's an important thing to keep in mind when you do problems that involve these huge numbers.

(1.6E-19)(2.247E17)(.27)=.00968 N

But is is not correct.
Can anyone help me out?

okay i see what i did and i have the right answer. thanks for your help

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a type of force that is exerted by magnets and other objects that have magnetic properties. It is the force that causes magnets to attract or repel each other.

2. How does magnetic force work?

Magnetic force is caused by the interaction between electrically charged particles, specifically electrons. These particles have a property called spin, which creates a magnetic field. When two magnets are brought close together, the magnetic field of one magnet interacts with the magnetic field of the other, causing a force to be exerted between them.

3. What are the applications of magnetic force?

Magnetic force has a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, magnetic levitation systems, and magnetic storage devices. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in particle accelerators.

4. How is magnetic force measured?

The strength of a magnetic force is measured in units called Newtons (N). This can be done using a device called a magnetometer, which measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

5. How can I calculate the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force can be calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force in Newtons, q is the charge of the moving particle, v is the velocity of the particle, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. This formula is known as the Lorentz force law.