What is the Magnitude of the Force on a Wire in a Uniform Magnetic Field?

In summary, a current of 3.1 A flows in a straight wire segment with a length of 4 cm in the i direction and 5 cm in the j direction, in a uniform magnetic field of 0.9 T in the i direction. The magnitude of the force on the wire can be found using the equation F = IL x B, where L is the length of the wire and B is the magnetic field strength. After calculating the cross product, the magnitude of the force is determined to be 0.1395 N. However, the initial calculation was incorrect as the cross product gives a vector, not a number. The correct calculation should be -0.1395 N in the k direction.
Punchlinegirl
A current of 3.1 A flows in a straight wire segment length (4 cm)i + (5 cm)j in a uniform magnetic field of strength (0.9 T) i. Find the magnitude of the force on the wire. Answer in units of N.
First I found the magnitude of the length of the wire, [tex] \sqrt .04^2 +.05^2 [/tex] = .0640 m.
Then I used the equation F= IL x B
(3.1)(.0640)(.09)= .0179 N
This isn't right.. I don't really know how to do these problems when both the field and length have directions.. can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me?

The x in F=ILxB is a cross product, not a simple multiplication. It multiplies vectors, not numbers. Look up how to do a "cross product".

Ok so when I do the cross product, I get -.01395. Then if I multiply it by the current, 3.1 A, so I get .01395, since they want the magnitude.. which still isnt' right...

Punchlinegirl said:
Ok so when I do the cross product, I get -.01395. Then if I multiply it by the current, 3.1 A, so I get .01395, since they want the magnitude.. which still isnt' right...

Can you show how you do a cross product? Your answer for the cross product is incorrect (and I am not sure how you got 3.1 times .01395 =0.01395)

Pat

I did
i j
.04 .05
.09 0
so .04*0 = 0
.09 * .05 = .0045
0-.0045= -.0045

Then -.0045 * 3.1 = .01395, since it's absolute value

Punchlinegirl said:
I did
i j
.04 .05
.09 0
so .04*0 = 0
.09 * .05 = .0045
0-.0045= -.0045

Then -.0045 * 3.1 = .01395, since it's absolute value

First, why do you use 0.09 for B? It's 0.9.
Also, it seems like you treat th eresult of the cross product as if it was a bunch of numbers to be added together. You cannot do that, a cross product gives a vector!

[itex] {\vec L} \times {\vec B} = (.04m {\vec i} + 0.05m {\vec j}) \times (0.9 T{\vec i}) = -0.045 T \cdot m {\vec k} [/itex]
So the force will be [itex] -0.1395 N {\vec k} [/itex]

Edit: and of course the *magnitude* of the force will be 0.1395 N. My point was that the difefrent terms obtained from the cross product can't simply be added together.

Last edited:

What is magnetic force in wire?

Magnetic force in wire is the force that is exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field in a wire. It is caused by the interaction between the electric current in the wire and the magnetic field.

How is magnetic force in wire measured?

Magnetic force in wire is measured using the formula F=qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force in wire?

The strength of magnetic force in wire is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the charged particle, the charge of the particle, and the angle between the particle's motion and the magnetic field.

What is the direction of magnetic force in wire?

The direction of magnetic force in wire is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the charged particle's motion. This can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the particle's motion, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm of the hand points in the direction of the magnetic force.

What are the applications of magnetic force in wire?

Magnetic force in wire has many applications, including electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in MRI machines to produce images of the body's internal structures. Additionally, magnetic force in wire is used in magnetic levitation technology, where objects are suspended using magnetic fields.