1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Force of a wire

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A segment of wire carries a current of 62 A along the x-axis from x=-6m to x=0 and then along the z-axis from z=0 to z=2.9m. The magnetic field is equal to 110 mT in the positive z direction.

What is the magnitude of the force on this segment of wire? Answer in units of N.

2. Relevant equations

F=ILBsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

F= magnetic force
    I= current
    L= length of wire
    B= magnetic field
    sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = the angle

3. The attempt at a solution

First I tried finding the length of the hypotenuse of the wire and the angle, then use the other given variables to solve for F, but I didn't think that was right.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    do you really mean that both the wire and the magnetic field is along the z-axis (and not the y-axis)? If both are along the z-axis, no force will will act on that part.

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    I think the only part of the wire that matters is the part that isn't parallel to the magnetic field (ie from -6 to 0 along the x axis, which is perpendicular to the field).

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4
    Yes, it is the z-axis, not the y.

So is the equation just going to be F=6x62x0.11?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?