1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force of one, moving charged particle on another (vector problem)

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a particular instant, charge q_1 = 4.80×10^−6 C is at the point (0, 0.250m , 0) and has velocity v_1=(9.2*10^5 m/s) i_hat. Charge q_2 = −2.50×10^−6 C is at the point (0.150m , 0, 0) and has velocity v_2 = (-5.3x10^5 m/s) j_hat.

At this instant, what is the magnetic force that q_1 exerts on q_2?

2. Relevant equations

The equations that I used are:
    the X in both equations represents the cross product of the components
    magnetic field of a moving point charge:
    B=(μ_0/4pi)*(qvXr_hat)/r^2
    Force of a magnetic field:
    F_B=qvXB

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the right hand rule, I found that the magnetic field coming from q_2 would be in the +k_hat direction; and I found that the force from q_1 with that magnetic field would be in the -j_hat direction.

Furthermore, using the first equation, I found the B-field from q_2 to be 8.02*10^-17 (+z direction) using B_2=10^-7*q_2*v_2*r_x/r^3 (where r_x is the x-component of r, the distance between the 2 charges). With that B-field, I used the second equation to get a force of 3.54*10^-16 N (-y direction) using F_B=q_1*v_1XB. So, my final answer is 3.54*10^-10 μN (-j_hat).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted