What is the Magnetic Force on Arm Due to Sodium Ions in a Magnetic Field?

In summary: Check his post #18. Use A, B, and C to get the total charge. Do you know how to use scientific notation on your calculator?In summary, the question involves calculating the magnetic force on an arm due to the motion of sodium ions in a person's bloodstream near a magnet. This can be done using the equation F=qvBsin(theta), where q represents the total charge on all the sodium ions in the arm. To find q, the number of sodium ions can be determined using the concentration and volume of blood, and the charge on each ion can be found by multiplying the charge of an electron by the number of electrons in a sodium atom. The final answer is obtained by multiplying the total charge
balling12

Homework Statement

Sodium ions (Na+) move at 0.844 m/s through a bloodstream in the arm of a person standing near a large magnet. The magnetic field has a strength of 0.259 T and makes an angle of 59.0° with the motion of the sodium ions. The arm contains 95.0 cm^3 of blood with a concentration of 2.50 X 10^20 Na+ ions per cubic centimeter. If no other ions were present in the arm, what would be the magnetic force on the arm?

Homework Equations

F=qvBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

F= q(.844m/s)(.259T)(sin59)
Thats as far as I have gotten. I am guessing that I need to use the volume of blood and concentration of ions to find the charge but I am not sure how to do so and have looked all through my textbook for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
balling12 said:
The arm contains 95.0 cm^3 of blood with a concentration of 2.50 X 10^20 Na+ ions per cubic centimeter.

If there are 2.5x1020 ions in 1 cm3, can you find how many ions are in 95 cm3?

If the force on one ion is (as you say) F= q(.844m/s)(.259T)(sin59), can you the total force on all the ions in the 95 cm3?

do i just multiply 95 by 2.5X10^20?

What do you think?

well i tried that and once i worked it out the solution was wrong so I am guessing that was incorrect.

Multiplying these two numbers is the correct thing to do. Whether you carried out the actual calculation correctly by pushing the right buttons on your calculator is another issue. If you show your calculation and the numbers you got, maybe someone will be able to figure out where you went wrong.

ok well i multplied the two numbers and got: 2.375X10^22. however once i plugged this into the equation to deteremine the magnetic force i got 4.45X10^21 which is incorrect so I am still unsure where i went wrong?

balling12 said:

Homework Statement

Sodium ions (Na+) move at 0.844 m/s through a bloodstream in the arm of a person standing near a large magnet. The magnetic field has a strength of 0.259 T and makes an angle of 59.0° with the motion of the sodium ions. The arm contains 95.0 cm^3 of blood with a concentration of 2.50 X 10^20 Na+ ions per cubic centimeter. If no other ions were present in the arm, what would be the magnetic force on the arm?

Homework Equations

F=qvBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Thats as far as I have gotten. I am guessing that I need to use the volume of blood and concentration of ions to find the charge but I am not sure how to do so and have looked all through my textbook for help.

dq=density*volume; That also helps

balling12 said:
ok well i multplied the two numbers and got: 2.375X10^22. however once i plugged this into the equation to deteremine the magnetic force i got 4.45X10^21 which is incorrect so I am still unsure where i went wrong?

You are not showing your calculation, just the result. Show how you multiplied, added, divided these numbers.

(95)(2.5X10^20)=2.375X10^22

(2.375X10^22)(.844)(.259)(sin59)= 4.4X10^21

You need to redo your calculation. First off, the calculation as you show it above does not give 4.4x1021. Secondly, you did not include the charge on the ion.

well i re-did my calculation and every way i work it i still get that same answer. and i am not sure what you mean by calculating the charge on the ion.

Look at the equation you posted:

What does q stand for? Answer: The charge on the ion. Uncharged particles experience no force in a magnetic field whether they are moving or not.

So how do I find q?

What is the charge on a singly ionized atom (Na+)?

im clueless

balling12 said:
So how do I find q?

The total number of atoms/particles/whatever times the charge of each one.

The charge of an electron is http://lmgtfy.com/?q=charge+of+electron

A "singly ionized atom" means that a single electron has been lost. A sodium atom has 11 electrons. A singly ionized sodium atom has 10 electrons. Since it has 11 protons, it has a net charge of +e, where e is given by the charge of the electron in the link above.

balling12 said:
So how do I find q?
q is in coulombs. How many Na+ ions are there in 1 coulomb?

6.25x1018.

so what do i do with the 6.25X10^18?

** Edit **

That's the answer to how many sodium ions in 1 coulomb. You can use that number or you can use what Bill Foster suggested in post #18

Last edited:
so do i need to multiply 1.6X10^-19 by 6.25X10^18 to get the charge(q)?

A. 1.6x10-19 Coulombs is the charge on one electron.

B. 2.375x1022 is the number Na+ ions you have in 95 cm3

C. q is the total charge on all the sodium atoms you have, it is measured in Coulombs.

D. Do what Bill Foster suggested.

What is the magnetic force of sodium ions?

The magnetic force of sodium ions refers to the strength of the magnetic field produced by the movement of charged sodium particles. It is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

How is the magnetic force of sodium ions determined?

The magnetic force of sodium ions is determined by the velocity and charge of the ions, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field they are moving in. It can be calculated using the formula F = qvB, where q is the charge of the ion, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.

What factors affect the magnetic force of sodium ions?

The magnetic force of sodium ions can be affected by several factors such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the velocity and charge of the ions, and the presence of other charged particles in the environment.

How does the magnetic force of sodium ions impact biological systems?

The magnetic force of sodium ions plays a crucial role in many biological processes, including nerve and muscle function. It is responsible for the movement of sodium ions across cell membranes, which is essential for maintaining proper electrical signals in the body.

Can the magnetic force of sodium ions be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic force of sodium ions can be altered by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field they are moving in. This manipulation can be used in various applications, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic separation techniques.