Calculating Magnetic Force on Ferrofluids Between Two Magnets

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the force of a magnet on a ferrofluid. The poster wants to simulate the physical behavior of ferrofluids and has found a formula to calculate the force. However, they are unsure if the formula is correct and how to use it since it only applies to two magnetized surfaces and does not account for force parallel to the surfaces. Another individual, Dave, has a similar interest in ferrofluid and is also looking for a way to suspend it in a tube.
Flashlight21
I have the problem that I want to calculate the force of a magnet acting on a ferrofluid. I know this is is difficult but I am trying to make some simulations of physical behavior on ferrofluids

Consider a U-shaped magnet with ferrofluid between the two poles. The distance between the poles will be in the order of 1mm and this gap will be completely filled with fluid. Now I would like to calculate the force the magnet exerts on the ferrofluid. Now I know that the magnetic field strength between the poles is around 0.8Tesla.
I found the following formula:

F=B2*A/(mu0*2)
where:
F: is the force between the two nearby surfaces [N]
B: is the magnetic field strength [T]
A: is the contact area between the surfaces [m2]
mu0: is the magnetic permeability constant 4*pi*10-7

The problem is that I do not know whether this formula is correct or not and if it is correct how can I use this the calculate the force since this formula is only for two magnetized surfaces. Also this formula only calculates the force perpendicular to the surface and eventually I would have to expand to the force parallel to the magnets surfaces.

Thanks in advance
Flashlight

PS. if I did not make myself clear please tell me and I will expand on the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Any progress on this? I'm playing around with ferrofluid myself and want to be able to suspend it in a tube.

Cheers,
Dave

EinsteinOfJazz said:
Any progress on this? I'm playing around with ferrofluid myself and want to be able to suspend it in a tube.

Cheers,
Dave

Welcome to the PF, Dave.

From the poster's Profile page:

Flashlight21 was last seen: Apr 6, 2011

You probably won't be getting a response from him, but maybe somebody else can help you out with your question... :smile:

Alright, I'll try making a post.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Dave.

From the poster's Profile page:
You probably won't be getting a response from him, but maybe somebody else can help you out with your question... :smile:

1. How does magnetic force affect ferrofluids?

Magnetic force has a strong influence on ferrofluids due to their unique magnetic properties. When a magnet is brought near a ferrofluid, the particles in the fluid become magnetized and align with the magnetic field, causing the fluid to move and form distinctive shapes.

2. What is the relationship between magnetic field strength and ferrofluid movement?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the movement of ferrofluids. The stronger the magnetic field, the more pronounced the movement and shape formation of the ferrofluid will be.

3. Can the magnetic force on ferrofluids be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic force on ferrofluids can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This control allows for precise manipulation and movement of the ferrofluid.

4. Are there any practical applications for magnetic force on ferrofluids?

Yes, ferrofluids have various practical applications, including in medical devices, loudspeakers, and seals for rotating machinery. The ability to control and manipulate the fluid using magnetic force makes it useful in a variety of industries.

5. Can ferrofluids be affected by other forces besides magnetic force?

Yes, ferrofluids can also be affected by gravitational force and surface tension. These forces can impact the movement and shape formation of the ferrofluid when combined with the magnetic force.