Magnetic Force Per Unit Length

In summary: However, in this problem, you are dealing with 100 wires, so you would need to multiply your result by 100 to account for the total force on all the wires in the bundle. Additionally, the direction of the force would depend on the direction of the current in the wire, which is not given in the problem. So, in summary, the correct answer would be 225 N/m in an unknown direction.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

A packed bundle of 100 long, straight, insulated wires forms a cylinder of radius R = 0.600 cm.

If each wire carries 4.50 A, what are the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force per unit length acting on a wire located 0.200 cm from the center of the bundle?

Homework Equations

[tex]F/L = IB [/tex]
[tex]B = (\frac{(\mu)I}{2(\pi)R^{2}})r [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the various values getting:

[tex]F/L = (450)((4\pi X 10^{-7}*450)/(2\pi(.006^{2}))(.002)[/tex]

That equals 2.25 N/m which is orders of magnitude off. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? This problem is in the book with slightly different numbers and the answer is is X.XX mN/m. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone know where I am going wrong?

Hi Ithryndil,

Ithryndil said:

Homework Statement

A packed bundle of 100 long, straight, insulated wires forms a cylinder of radius R = 0.600 cm.

If each wire carries 4.50 A, what are the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force per unit length acting on a wire located 0.200 cm from the center of the bundle?

Homework Equations

[tex]F/L = IB [/tex]
[tex]B = (\frac{(\mu)I}{2(\pi)R^{2}})r [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the various values getting:

[tex]F/L = (450)((4\pi X 10^{-7}*450)/(2\pi(.006^{2}))(.002)[/tex]

I don't think this is correct. The B-field part looks right to me, but if you then compare this to your first equation F/L = IB, this would be the force per unit length on a single wire that has a current of 450A.

1. What is magnetic force per unit length?

Magnetic force per unit length is a measurement of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific distance from the source. It is also known as magnetic field strength or magnetic flux density.

2. How is magnetic force per unit length calculated?

Magnetic force per unit length is calculated by dividing the magnetic force by the length of the magnet or magnetic field. It can also be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the current flowing through a conductor.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic force per unit length?

The unit of measurement for magnetic force per unit length is Tesla per meter (T/m) in the International System of Units (SI).

4. What factors affect the magnetic force per unit length?

The magnetic force per unit length is affected by the strength of the magnet or magnetic field, the distance from the source, and the material of the object being affected by the magnetic force.

5. How is magnetic force per unit length used in practical applications?

Magnetic force per unit length is used in many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also used in medical imaging devices, such as MRI machines, to create images of the body's internal structures.