1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force problem

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

35k4ww3.png

As shown in figure above, a conductor RS with 2 m length which is powered with currents is put in a 0.5 T magnetic field. If the force generated by the conductor is 1 N into-the-screen, then the magnitude and direction of the current in conductor is ...

A. 1 A from R to S
    B. 1 A from S to R
    C. 2 A from R to S
    D. 2 A from S to R
    E. 5 A from R to S

2. Relevant equations

F = BIL sin θ

3. The attempt at a solution

1 = 0.5 I 2 sin 90°
    I = 1 Ampere

And, the direction is from S to R
    (I point my 4 fingers to the right side, my palm inward, so the thumb (current) points upward)

Is it correct?? I need to make sure about this... I'm self-studying :smile:
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

PF isn't really good at stamp-approving exercises -- it doesn't really help you if we do and you're found wrong anyway.
    (It also antagonizes teachers in general :smile:).
    You actually need to convince yourself that what you did is correct (because you fully understand what you did, checked it, etc.).

On the other hand, if I do the exercise I get the same result. I can't remember al these rules, but I can remember the Lorentz force $$\vec F_L = q\left (\vec E+\vec v\times\vec B\right )$$. And if I imagine a corkscrew and rotate ##\vec v## over the smallest angle to ##\vec B## I see that it goes into the page if ##\vec v## points from S to R

--

4. May 12, 2016 #3
    Alright, thanks..
    Sometimes it's just hard to fully confident that it's 100% correct if I'm self-studying..
    Thank you for your response anyway :smile:

5. May 12, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe you. Hats off & good luck !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted