1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 23 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.28 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

i know to use F=qvB to find max but i am having trouble getting the right units to find v i use (1/2)mv(sq.). but how do i get 23kV in the right units to use this equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An electron passing through a potential difference of V volts gains an energy of q*V where q is the electron charge. So that's it's kinetic energy KE=(1/2)mv^2 (where v here is velocity). Equate the two energies and find the velocity.

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    do i use 23kV or do i need to convert that unit?

5. Feb 6, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

23kV=23000V. Just multiply that by the charge in (in coulombs) of an electron. Volts are measured in joules per coulomb. See? The units will come out just right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?