Attraction & Force of Parallel Conductors/Loops in Magnetic Field

In summary, two infinitely long straight conductors will attract each other when kept parallel if current flows in the same direction in both. Additionally, if two circular loops are placed parallel with current flowing in the same direction, they will also attract each other. A loop carrying current will experience a force if placed in a uniform magnetic field, with the formula F = I (l X B). While the vector l may seem to equal 0 for a circular loop since the initial and terminal points are the same, it is incorrect to say so as it would involve dealing with infinitely small arcs or considering the loop as an equivalent bar magnet.
sArGe99
I know that two infinitely long straight conductors will attract each other when kept parallel if current flows in the same direction in both.
If two circular loops are placed such that their planes are parallel, current in the same direction, will they attract?

Also, does a loop carrying current experience any force if placed in a uniform magnetic field.
F = I (l X B)
l is a vector, so I believe l=0 for a loop since the initial and terminal points are the same. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
for ur last question, i have to say that it is incorrect to say l=0. if u know some calculus, u will have to deal with an infinitely small arc and then add them up. another way to think about it is to consider the loop a magnetic bar placed in a magnetic field. apparently, f is not 0

Oh.. Circular loop as an equivalent bar magnet.
I thought vector l = vector l(final) - vector l(initial)
Final and initial points are the same for a circular loop, so l=0

1. What is the basic concept of attraction and force between parallel conductors/loops in a magnetic field?

The basic concept is that when two parallel conductors or loops are carrying an electric current in the same direction, they will experience an attractive force. This is because the magnetic fields produced by the currents interact with each other and create a force that pulls them towards each other. Conversely, if the currents are in opposite directions, they will experience a repulsive force.

2. How does the distance between the parallel conductors/loops affect the attraction and force?

The force between parallel conductors/loops is directly proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa. Therefore, the closer the conductors/loops are, the stronger the force of attraction or repulsion will be.

3. What other factors besides distance can affect the attraction and force between parallel conductors/loops?

The strength of the electric currents flowing through the conductors/loops also plays a significant role in determining the force between them. The greater the current, the stronger the force will be. Additionally, the permeability of the materials used in the conductors/loops can also impact the force. Materials with higher permeability will have a stronger attraction force than those with lower permeability.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field affect the attraction and force between parallel conductors/loops?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can have a significant impact on the force between parallel conductors/loops. When the current in one conductor/loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field produced by the other conductor/loop, there will be no force of attraction or repulsion. However, if the currents are parallel to the magnetic field, the force will be at its maximum strength.

5. Is the force between parallel conductors/loops affected by the shape or size of the conductors/loops?

Yes, the shape and size of the conductors/loops can also affect the force between them. Generally, longer and thinner conductors/loops will have a stronger force of attraction or repulsion than shorter and thicker ones. This is because the magnetic fields produced by longer conductors/loops have a larger area of overlap, resulting in a stronger force.