1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So there are 2 questions i need help with.
    1. Divide the room (for the rest of this valdation) into four (4) quadrants labeled Top Left (TL), Top Right (TR), Bottom Left (BL), and Bottom Right (BR). Which of the four particle tracks indicates that the B field in the TL and TR quadrants are in the opposite direction?
    2. Which of the four particle tracks indicates that the B field in the TL and BL quadrants are in the same direction?
    2. Relevant equations
    no equations needed

3. The attempt at a solution
    for number 1, i thought the answer would be C, and two i thought the answer would be D. But i got both answers wrong. I was wondering if someone could help me on these 2 questions.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Problem 1 asks about "top left" and "top right" so only a trajectory that stays in the top half is relevant. Problem 2 talks about the "top left" and "lower left" so only a trajectory that stays in the left half is relevant.

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    SO could you say that for problem one would have to be B, and for problem 2 the answer would have to be A?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook