Solving for Forces in a Uniform Field: A Circuit Analysis

In summary, the current in the circuit is in a uniform magnetic field, which is normal to the plane of the circuit. The forces acting on each side of the rectangle are calculated using the force equations, and it is found that the bottom of the rectangle should be F=IlB=I2RB. However, the sides of the rectangle oppose each other, so the force should be zero. The attempt at a solution suggests that the force on each side of the rectangle should be calculated separately, and it is found that the bottom of the rectangle should be F=IlB=I2RB, and the sides of the rectangle oppose each other so the force should be 0.
radicaled

Homework Statement

the current is i, the circuit is in a uniform magnetic field B normal to the plane of the circuit as indicated
Attached is the circuit

Homework Equations

Get the forces acting on each of their sides. Direction and data module for the following:
L = 10cm
R = 10cm
I = 5A
B = 3.4mT

The Attempt at a Solution

The force for the semi circunference is easy F=I.l.B = IπRB
But I don't agree with a teammate, about the rest.
The bottom of the rectangle should be F=IlB = I2RB
The sides of the rectangle oppose each other so the force should be 0?

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Radicaled

radicaled said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The force for the semi circunference is easy F=I.l.B = IπRB

It's not quite that easy :frown: Don't forget that the force on each infinitesimal section of current is a vector (with direction!). So, it's a vector addition problem.

The bottom of the rectangle should be F=IlB = I2RB
The sides of the rectangle oppose each other so the force should be 0?

ok with the bottom, except you should probably include the direction of the force. For the two vertical sides, the problem seems to want you to state the force on each side separately.

Ok, so I did this:
For the semi circumference
[itex]F = I \bar{I}x\bar{B}[/itex] in the -j direction
So [itex]F = 5A \pi0.1m 3.4x10^{-3}T = 5.3x10^{-3}N[/itex]

Now for the sides of the rectangle:
[itex]F = I \bar{I}x\bar{B}[/itex] in the -i and in +i direction. So they cancel each other?
[itex]F = 5A 0.1m 3.4x10^{-3}T = 1.7x10^{-3}N[/itex]

The base of the rectangle should be like this
[itex]F = 5A 2x0.1m 3.4x10^{-3}T = 3.4x10^{-3}N[/itex]

If the sides of the rectangle are 0, I would be able to sum only the base of the rectangle and the semi circumference.
So the total force should be [itex]F = 3.4x10^{-3}N + 5.3x10^{-3}N[/itex]

radicaled said:
Ok, so I did this:
For the semi circumference
So [itex]F = 5A \pi0.1m 3.4x10^{-3}T = 5.3x10^{-3}N[/itex]

You haven't yet taken into account the vector nature of the force on each infinitesimal section of the semicircle. What would be the direction of the force on a small section of the semicircle at the far left side where the section is essentially vertical? What would be the direction of the force on a section at the far right side of the semicircle? How about for a section at the top of the semicircle? Think about some other sections. (It would help if you would indicate which direction you are choosing for the current in the circuit and which direction you are choosing for B.)

Now for the sides of the rectangle:
[itex]F = I \bar{I}x\bar{B}[/itex] in the -i and in +i direction. So they cancel each other?
[itex]F = 5A 0.1m 3.4x10^{-3}T = 1.7x10^{-3}N[/itex]

That looks good.
The base of the rectangle should be like this
[itex]F = 5A 2x0.1m 3.4x10^{-3}T = 3.4x10^{-3}N[/itex]

OK, but is the direction of the force on the bottom going to be the same direction as the force on the semicircle?

Sorry i think I forgot to add that.
The direction of the current I took was clockwise.
The magnetic field, comes from the exercise description, is perpendicular to the plane of the circuit.

radicaled said:
Sorry i think I forgot to add that.
The direction of the current I took was clockwise.
The magnetic field, comes from the exercise description, is perpendicular to the plane of the circuit.

Ok, good. But you'll still need to choose B either "out of the page" or "into the page".

We consider the B into the page

radicaled said:
We consider the B into the page

OK, then the direction of the force on the bottom side of the loop is -j as you stated. Good.

So, the only thing left is to get the correct force on the semicircle. The usual way to do this is by integration of the force over all the infinitesimal length elements of the semicircle.

Last edited:

1. What is a uniform field in circuit analysis?

A uniform field in circuit analysis refers to a constant electric or magnetic field that does not vary in strength or direction within a given region. This is important in solving for forces in a circuit because it allows for simplified calculations and analysis.

2. How do you determine the direction of the force in a uniform field?

The direction of the force in a uniform field can be determined by using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers in the direction of the field, the force will be in the direction that your palm faces.

3. What are the equations used to calculate the force in a uniform field?

The force in a uniform field can be calculated using the equations F = qE for electric fields and F = qvB for magnetic fields, where F is the force, q is the charge, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the charge, and B is the magnetic field.

4. Can you have a non-uniform field in circuit analysis?

Yes, it is possible to have a non-uniform field in circuit analysis. This occurs when the electric or magnetic field strength and/or direction varies within a given region. In this case, more complex calculations and analysis techniques may be needed to solve for forces in the circuit.

5. How does the presence of multiple charges affect the force in a uniform field?

When there are multiple charges in a uniform field, the forces on each charge will add together. This is known as the principle of superposition. The total force on each charge can be calculated by adding up the individual forces from each charge.