1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Force

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    Ok, this problem shows up on my test today and I was wondering how you can solve it:

A circular coil of wire has a diameter of 20 cm and contains 10 loops, internal resistance of 8 ohms, and the coil is placed in a 2.00T external magnetic field. When 1 volt is applied to the coil, determine the maximum force exerted on the coil by the field.

First of all, I was thinking about using [tex]R = \rho \frac{l}{A}[/tex] and plug in the [tex] l [/tex] into [tex] F = IlB sin \theta [/tex]
    But I wasnt given the [tex]\rho[/tex], so i try the torque formula:[tex]NIABsin\theta[/tex], but end up having Netwon * meter for the unit

How should i approach this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The resistance of the wire is given as 8 ohms. The applied potential is 1 volt. The current is a simple calculation based on this information. After you get that, your appraoch to the magnetism aspects looks reasonable.
  4. Apr 27, 2005 #3
    But how can i solve for [tex] l [/tex] in order to calculate the Force by using [tex]F = I l B sin \theta[/tex] ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?