Solving a Magnetic Field Problem: Find Maximum Force

In summary, a circular coil of wire with a diameter of 20 cm and 10 loops, an internal resistance of 8 ohms, and placed in a 2.00T external magnetic field has a maximum force exerted on it when 1 volt is applied. To calculate this force, one can use the formula F = IlB sin \theta, but the value of l is needed, which can be found using the formula R = \rho \frac{l}{A}. Another approach is to use the torque formula NIABsin\theta, but this would result in a unit of Newton * meter.
leolaw
Ok, this problem shows up on my test today and I was wondering how you can solve it:

A circular coil of wire has a diameter of 20 cm and contains 10 loops, internal resistance of 8 ohms, and the coil is placed in a 2.00T external magnetic field. When 1 volt is applied to the coil, determine the maximum force exerted on the coil by the field.

First of all, I was thinking about using [tex]R = \rho \frac{l}{A}[/tex] and plug in the [tex] l [/tex] into [tex] F = IlB sin \theta [/tex]
But I wasnt given the [tex]\rho[/tex], so i try the torque formula:[tex]NIABsin\theta[/tex], but end up having Netwon * meter for the unit

How should i approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
leolaw said:
Ok, this problem shows up on my test today and I was wondering how you can solve it:

A circular coil of wire has a diameter of 20 cm and contains 10 loops, internal resistance of 8 ohms, and the coil is placed in a 2.00T external magnetic field. When 1 volt is applied to the coil, determine the maximum force exerted on the coil by the field.

First of all, I was thinking about using [tex]R = \rho \frac{l}{A}[/tex] and plug in the [tex] l [/tex] into [tex] F = IlB sin \theta [/tex]
But I wasnt given the [tex]\rho[/tex], so i try the torque formula:[tex]NIABsin\theta[/tex], but end up having Netwon * meter for the unit

How should i approach this problem?

The resistance of the wire is given as 8 ohms. The applied potential is 1 volt. The current is a simple calculation based on this information. After you get that, your appraoch to the magnetism aspects looks reasonable.

But how can i solve for [tex] l [/tex] in order to calculate the Force by using [tex]F = I l B sin \theta[/tex] ?

What is a magnetic field problem?

A magnetic field problem is a physics problem that involves finding the maximum force exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle or object.

How do you solve a magnetic field problem?

To solve a magnetic field problem, you need to first determine the direction and strength of the magnetic field. Then, you need to find the velocity and charge of the particle or object. Finally, you can use the formula F = qvB to calculate the maximum force.

What is the maximum force in a magnetic field problem?

The maximum force in a magnetic field problem is the strongest force that the magnetic field can exert on a charged particle or object. It is calculated using the formula F = qvB, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

What are some common units used in magnetic field problems?

The units used in magnetic field problems can vary depending on the specific problem, but some common units include tesla (T) for magnetic field strength, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and coulombs (C) for charge. It is important to make sure all units are consistent when solving a magnetic field problem.

Can a magnetic field problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a magnetic field problem can have multiple solutions. This can happen when there are multiple forces acting on the charged particle or object, or when there are multiple possible combinations of magnetic field strength, velocity, and charge that could result in the same maximum force. It is important to carefully consider all possible solutions when solving a magnetic field problem.