Magnetic Force on Wire 2: Verification Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic force exerted by wire 1 on the top wire of length b in a rectangular loop carrying a current I2. The equation F = IL x B is mentioned and the importance of including all force directions on the diagram is emphasized. Amperes Law is suggested for calculating the forces on the sides of the loop. The requester asks for verification of their work and is advised to consider the magnitude and direction of the forces before using Amperes Law.
mathguy831
1. Wire 1 is oriented along the y-axis and carries a current I1. A rectangular loop located to the right of the wire in the xy-plane carries a current I2. Find the magnetic force exerted by wire 1 on the top wire of length b in the loop labeled "Wire 2" in the figure.2. F = IL x B

3. Attached is the picture needed for the problem as well as my attempt at the problem. Can someone please verify that my work is correct?

Attachments

• 20141029_164024.jpg
    20141029_164024.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 271
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mathguy

1) for a start draw ALL your force directions on the diagram, not just the top one

2) after you have done that what do you discover about the magnitude and direction of the 4 forces ?
You don't need Amperes Law to work out the force on the top section of wire

3) that will give you your answer

4) for the forces on the 2 sides you can use Amperes Law

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic force on wire 2?

Magnetic force on wire 2 refers to the force exerted by a magnetic field on a wire that is carrying an electric current. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic force on wire 2 calculated?

The magnetic force on wire 2 is calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sinθ, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

3. Why is verification needed for magnetic force on wire 2?

Verification is needed to ensure that the calculated magnetic force on wire 2 is accurate and consistent with the laws of physics. This helps to validate the results and confirm that the experimental setup and measurements are reliable.

4. How can magnetic force on wire 2 be verified?

Magnetic force on wire 2 can be verified through experimental testing, where the actual force on the wire is measured and compared to the calculated force using the formula mentioned above. This can also be done using simulation software or mathematical models.

5. What are some factors that can affect the magnetic force on wire 2?

The magnetic force on wire 2 can be affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire, the length and orientation of the wire, and the material of the wire. Other factors such as temperature and external forces may also have an impact on the force.