Explaining Magnetic Force on Iron Without Moving Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ferromagnetism and how magnetic forces are exerted between magnets or a magnet and a piece of iron. The direction of the magnetic field and the resulting force are explained through the concept of magnetic dipoles and the energy associated with them. The conversation also touches on the differences between a force-based and energy-based description of magnetic forces.
Christopher R
Hi, I am a high school physics student and the only ways we learned to calculate the magnitude of a magnetic force involved a moving charge or current in a wire. As a result I have wondered how a bar magnetic magnet may exert a force on a piece of iron, since there is no clear movement of charge on the iron. If anyone here could explain this that would be amazing, although I fear it's probably going to be some complicated stuff with electrons. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Ferromagnetism is the magic word. :cool: Go to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism

and scroll down to the section Explanation. (Origin of magnetism, etc.) That should get you started. When you get stuck, feel free to ask questions here and someone can probably get you unstuck.

I sort of understand how the domains can allign and create a net magnetic field, but I'm still not sure how the actual attraction occurs. Like when the north end of a magnet is attracted to the south end of another, the direction of the magnetic field is on the same line as the direction of the force, but I thought that the resulting force is always perpindicular to the magnetic field. Is the force attracting magnets just fundamentally different than the magnetic force on moving charges?

There's two ways of looking at it. You can treat a magnet as if it has a current flowing around it, like a solenoid. Then it has moving charges, and the magnetic field exerts a force on these moving charges. But, I think this is kind of an ad hoc way of dealing with it. The other way is to just say that magnetic fields exert a force on magnetic dipoles. This force comes from the expression for magnetic energy.
##U=\frac{1}{2} \frac{B^2}{\mu}##
If the system has a spatial degree of freedom which allows the energy to decrease, then you have a force along that direction. If you try to force two north poles of two magnets together, you are increasing the magnetic energy near the north poles, so there is a force pushing them apart. In contrast, if you put a north and south pole together, the fields cancel and the magnetic energy is reduced.

Your energy explanation makes sense, but I am more confused by the actual mechanisms which cause there to be a force. If magnets are treated like solenoids, it still seems to me like there would be no net force between two magnets since the field would be pointed along the solenoid.

A Newtonian forced-based description is not necessarily any more fundamental than a Lagrangian or Hamiltonian energy-based description. Both give the "actual mechanics". But you can write the force of an external field on a dipole:
##F = \nabla (\mathbf{\mu} \cdot \mathbf{B})##
where ##\mu## is the dipole moment.

Christopher R said:
I'm still not sure how the actual attraction occurs. Like when the north end of a magnet is attracted to the south end of another, the direction of the magnetic field is on the same line as the direction of the force, but I thought that the resulting force is always perpindicular to the magnetic field.

To make it easier to visualize, replace one of the magnets with a loop of wire carrying a current, which behaves as a magnetic dipole very much like the magnet. The "north" side of the loop is in the direction given by the right-hand rule, upwards in this example. In the diagram, the plane of the loop is perpendicular to the axis of the magnet, and arrows indicate the current direction. At the left side of the loop, the current is towards you (perpendicular to your screen), and at the right side, it's away from you.

The magnetic field from the magnet spreads out, so it's at an angle to the plane of the loop. Therefore the magnetic force on each point of the loop is also at an angle. The net force on the loop is downward, i.e. the loop is attracted towards the magnet.

IMG_0079.gif

Thanks jtbell, exactly the explanation i was looking for :D

1. What is the magnetic force on iron?

The magnetic force on iron is the force exerted on a piece of iron due to the presence of a magnetic field. This force is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic properties of iron.

2. How does magnetic force on iron differ from other forces?

Magnetic force on iron differs from other forces because it is a non-contact force that can act at a distance. It is also a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. Is there a way to explain magnetic force on iron without moving charge?

Yes, magnetic force on iron can be explained using the concept of magnetic domains. These are tiny regions within a material where the magnetic moments of individual atoms are aligned in the same direction, creating a net magnetic field.

4. What role do magnetic domains play in the explanation of magnetic force on iron?

Magnetic domains play a crucial role in the explanation of magnetic force on iron. When an external magnetic field is applied to a piece of iron, the magnetic domains align with the external field, resulting in a net magnetic force on the iron.

5. Can the strength of the magnetic force on iron be changed?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic force on iron can be changed by altering the strength or direction of the external magnetic field. It can also be affected by temperature, mechanical stress, and the material's composition.