1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Forces on Current-Carrying Wires (in magnetic fields). Is answer correct?

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    1. A horizontal magnetic field of 1.0 x 10^-4 T is at an angle of 30 degrees to the direction of the current in a straight, horizontal wire 75 cm long. If the wire carries a current of 15 A, what is the magnitude of the force on the wire?

2.B be the magnetic field = 1.0 x 10-4 T

Θ be the angle between the magnetic field and current = 300

L be the length of the wire = 75 cm = 0.75m

I be the current in the wire = 15 A

F be the force in the wire ?

From basic magnetic force

F = qvB sin Θ

F = q(L/t)B sin Θ

F = (q/t)LB sin Θ

F = I L B sin Θ

3. F = 15 x 0.75 x 1.0x10-4 sin 300

F = 11.25 x 10-4 sin 300

F = 11.25 x 10-4 (1/2)

F = 5.625 10-4 N

F = 0.5625mN

(Ans)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2
    Your algebra is fine, so as long as you didn't make a mistake punching in the numbers it looks good to me.

4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    Re: Magnetic Forces on Current-Carrying Wires (in magnetic fields). Is answer correct

It should be [tex] sin\theta [/tex] i.e [tex]sin~{30^\circ}[/tex], you've made a typo. Otherwise, the answer is correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?