What is the resultant force on a conducting plate in a magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of forces acting between parallel wires and a magnetic field and a surface. The question is posed about the resultant force on a conducting plate within a magnetic field. Various scenarios and analogies are brought up, including a wire in an electric field and the redistribution of free charges on a conductive plate after a lightning strike. The ultimate goal is to determine the value of the pushing force exerted on the conductive plate by the magnetic field.
munozcim
Dear all,

I've found in many books forces acting between 2 parallel wires, but not between a magnetic field and a surface. Let's now imagine a conducting plate which is within a magnetic field. Which is the resultant force acting on that panel?
Many thanks in advance!

Raúl

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Thinking about it, your question should boil down to a wire in an electric field. I assume that you plate is conductive. What happens to the "free" charges in a conductive plate? (come on this is simple).

From this result, you can apply a wire current within a magnetic field.

Cheers

If you are talking about two plates of evenly distributed current, I should think you can integrate the forces to find the answer.

It reminds me of the problem of the forces two equally and linearly uniformly charged rods exert on each other.

Last edited:
Thanks fatra2 and espen180 for your quick reply. Actually I'm thinking about a lightning strike which is acting on a conductive plate. The current flows from the attachment point to the whole plate in a radial way in all directions. The plate can be assumed as isotropic.
The magnetic field created by the lightning strike acts on the conductive plate pushing it downwards. I would like to know the value of that pushing force.
cheers

But no matter what, once your lightning strikes the conductive plates, the extra free charges will redistribute on the edge of the plate. Therefore, applying current in a wire could be applied.

Cheers

1. What is the concept of magnetic forces on plates?

The concept of magnetic forces on plates refers to the interaction between a magnetic field and a conductive plate, which results in a force being exerted on the plate. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is caused by the movement of charged particles within the plate in response to the magnetic field.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on the plate?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force on the plate. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force exerted on the plate. This is because a stronger magnetic field will induce a larger current in the plate, resulting in a stronger Lorentz force.

3. What factors determine the direction of the magnetic force on the plate?

The direction of the magnetic force on the plate is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current in the plate. The force will be perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the current, according to the right-hand rule.

4. How do different materials in the plate affect the magnetic force?

The magnetic force on a plate can be affected by the type of material it is made of. Conductive materials, such as metals, will experience a greater force due to the movement of charged particles. Non-conductive materials, such as wood or plastic, will not experience a magnetic force on a plate.

5. Are there any real-life applications of magnetic forces on plates?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of magnetic forces on plates. One common example is the use of electromagnetic brakes in trains, where the magnetic force is used to slow down the train by creating friction between the brake pads and the conductive plates on the wheels. Magnetic levitation trains also utilize magnetic forces on plates to hover and move along the track.