1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic forces problem

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the figure below, the current in the long, straight wire is I1 = 4.8 A, and the wire lies in the plane of the rectangular loop, which carries 9.7 A. The dimensions shown are c = 0.10 m, a = 0.15 m, and l = 0.45 m. Find the magnitude and direction of the net force exerted by the magnetic field due to the straight wire on the loop.

2. Relevant equations

F/l = (1.26E-6)(I1)(I2)/(2)(pi)(d)

F= IlBsin(theta)

B=(1.26E-6)(I)/(2)(pi)(r)

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that we would have to use a combination of the three equations above, and I got an answer of 4.2E-5, but this is incorrect. I believe this answer only takes into account the two wires, not the wire and the rectangle. I am not really sure how to take into account the rectangle. Please help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Sides of the rectangle parallel to the wire will experience opposite forces. Find the resultant to get the net force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook