1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Forces with Currents

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wire of length 95m and a diameter of 2.4mm has a total resistance 1.59Ohms. The potential difference between the ends of the wire is 103volts. A section of the wire 15.5cm in length is bent into an arc of 60deg. The magnetic field is parallel to the bisector of the arc and has a strength of B=1.4T . What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the arc of wire?

2. Relevant equations
    F = I*l*B*sin(Phi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    parallel.jpg

I found the current by solving I = V/R which gives me 64.78 Amps.

Now the part I'm having trouble with is finding out the magnetic field that is parallel to the bisector of the arc. I don't think I understand this question The magnetic field is parallel to the bisector of the arc and has a strength of B=1.4T .

What are your suggestion on this one? And fyi, my teacher didn't lecture this topic yet, but the reason I want to do HW early is to have more time to study this so I can get good grade on the next test.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2
    bump I got the current, and the length. I'm still having trouble with finding the right B*sin(phi).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook