Solving a Magnetic Force Problem: Finding q & r

In summary, the problem involves a positively charged particle of mass 7.21×10-8kg traveling due east with a speed of 89.9m/s and entering a 0.290T uniform magnetic field. It then moves through one-quarter of a circle in a time of 2.06×10-3s and leaves the field heading due south, moving perpendicular to the magnetic field. The unknowns needed to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the particle are q and r. To solve for r, the equation X = vt + 1/2at^2 was used, substituting a with a = v^2/r and solving for r. However, this resulted in an unsolvable algebra
Seikon85
Problem:

A positively charged particle of mass 7.21×10-8kg is traveling due east with a speed of 89.9m/s and enters a 0.290T uniform magnetic field. The particle moves through one-quarter of a circle in a time of 2.06×10-3s, at which time it leaves the field heading due south. All during the motion the particle moves perpendicular to the magnetic field. What is the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the particle?

Work done so far:

F = ma = mv^2/r
F = B(q x v)sin90

Travels 1/4 of the circle so I figured the distance, X is (2pi*r)/4.

In order to find F(mag), need to find the two unknowns: q and r. So i figured I would try to find r first.

I used X = vt + 1/2at^2, substituted a with a = v^2/r, with X = (2pi*r)/4.

I ended up getting an unsolvable algebraic expression in terms of r as the unknown.

I know all I have to do, once r is determined is solve for q. Then I can calculate F from F = B(v x q)sin90.

Any suggestions??
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Seikon85 said:
In order to find F(mag), need to find the two unknowns: q and r. So i figured I would try to find r first.

I used X = vt + 1/2at^2, substituted a with a = v^2/r, with X = (2pi*r)/4.

The particle travels with uniform speed along the arc when within the magnetic field. Equate the two F's you have written down.

There is no uniform accn here along the path, the eqns for which you are trying to use. Do you know in which direction the accn is?

1. How do I solve for q and r in a magnetic force problem?

To solve for q and r in a magnetic force problem, you will need to use the equation F = qvBsinθ. This equation relates the magnetic force (F) to the charge (q), velocity (v), magnetic field (B), and the angle (θ) between the velocity and magnetic field vectors. Rearrange the equation to solve for q and r.

2. What is the unit of measurement for charge (q) in a magnetic force problem?

The unit of measurement for charge (q) in a magnetic force problem is the Coulomb (C).

3. Can I use this equation to solve for q and r in any type of magnetic force problem?

Yes, the equation F = qvBsinθ can be used to solve for q and r in any type of magnetic force problem, as long as all the necessary variables are known.

4. What is the importance of finding q and r in a magnetic force problem?

Finding q and r in a magnetic force problem is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. It also helps us to design and optimize devices that use magnetic forces, such as motors and generators.

5. Are there any other methods for solving a magnetic force problem besides using the F = qvBsinθ equation?

Yes, there are other methods for solving a magnetic force problem, such as using vector analysis or the right-hand rule. However, the F = qvBsinθ equation is the most commonly used and straightforward method for solving these types of problems.