Exploring Unmagnetized Ferromagnetic Materials in Magnetic Fields

In summary, a magnetic field temporarily magnetizes an unmagnetized piece of iron, and the force exerted by the magnetic field is the Lorentz force.
MonkeysPass
I'm wondering about general magnetic forces, specifically the behavior of unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials in a magnetic field. I.e., a simple bar or electromagnet picking up an unmagnetized piece of iron.
Are there formulas to explain this behavior? The lorenz force equations by themselves don't help me here.

Physics news on Phys.org
MonkeysPass said:
I'm wondering about general magnetic forces, specifically the behavior of unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials in a magnetic field. I.e., a simple bar or electromagnet picking up an unmagnetized piece of iron.
Are there formulas to explain this behavior? The lorenz force equations by themselves don't help me here.

I don't know the formulas for the force exerted, if that's what you want, but I can explain why it happens. The iron becomes temporarily magnetized by the magnetic field, so it's (temporarily) like two magnets pulling on each other.

This is sort of analogous to the way dispersion works for electrostatic forces (i.e. rubbing a balloon to make it charged and then sticking it to the uncharged wall).

Welcome to PF!

Hi MonkeysPass! Welcome to PF! :smile:
MonkeysPass said:

A magnetic field, of course, only exerts a force on moving objects.

The moving objects in the material are electrons in circular orbits.

The magnetic field exerts a force on each orbiting electron. And this is the Lorentz force

In most materials, the orbits are at random (and stay that way), so the forces are also random, and cancel out on average.

But for some materials (ferromagnetic, etc), the orbits align, and the forces all act in the same direction, and so the material moves. :wink:

1. What are unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials?

Unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials are materials that do not possess a permanent magnetic field or show magnetic properties in their natural state. These materials can become magnetized when exposed to an external magnetic field, but will lose their magnetization once the field is removed.

2. What is the significance of exploring these materials in magnetic fields?

Exploring unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials in magnetic fields allows scientists to understand the underlying mechanisms of magnetism. It also helps in developing new materials with enhanced magnetic properties, which can have various applications in technology and industry.

3. How are these materials affected by magnetic fields?

When exposed to a magnetic field, unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials become magnetized and align their magnetic domains in the direction of the field. This alignment results in the materials exhibiting magnetic properties, such as attraction or repulsion to other magnetic materials.

4. Can these materials be used in everyday applications?

Yes, unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials have a wide range of applications in everyday life. Some examples include magnetic strips on credit cards, magnets in speakers and motors, and magnetic closures on bags and clothing.

5. Are there any challenges in exploring these materials in magnetic fields?

Yes, there are several challenges in studying unmagnetized ferromagnetic materials in magnetic fields. These include controlling the strength and direction of the magnetic field, measuring the microscopic changes in the material's magnetic properties, and understanding the complex interactions between the material's atomic structure and the magnetic field.