Magnetic Frequencies: Exploring Electromagnetism

In summary, a magnetic field is generated by moving charged particles and is linked to electricity through electromagnetism. However, a magnetic field only has a frequency if the electric field producing it also has one. In the case of a permanent magnet, the magnetic field is created by the angular momentum of its electrons. In order for a magnetic field to have a frequency, either the strength or polarity must change over time, similar to an AC electric circuit. This is also true for photons, which have both electric and magnetic fields with the same frequency.
draconis
¿ Magnetic Frequencies ?

I understand that a magnetic field is generated via moving charged particles . Electricity and magnetism are linked through electromagnetism . Electromagnetism can be in different wavelengths and frequencies but does this mean that magnetism and magnetic fields are at different wavelengths ? I know magnetic fields aren't waves but can different electromagnetic frequencies generate different magnetic fields with different properties ?

Physics news on Phys.org

A magnetic field only has a frequency if the electric field which produces it also has one. As such, a moving paticle may generate a magnetic field, but unless it is moving back and forth then there is no frequency.

I understand that a magnetic field is generated via moving charged particles
Hhhmmm, I am not sure I thought of it that way... I mean, a magnetic field is there, whether the source is moving or not...there is INDUCTION, when the field is moving relative to our non-moving frame of reference.

how do you see a permanent magnet? it produces a magnetic field. where are the moving charged particles?

I don't remember particles that much...but are you confusing magnetic field with electric field? I thought electric fields can be there around a single charged particle...but I don't remember this for magnetic fields, magnetic field cannot be monopolar...in other words, you need both a " north" and a " south" , I thought ...

that way you are visualizing the magnetic field with a frequency is not quite right, I think; I think that if you want to visualize a magnetic field with a frequency, you would need to increment and decrement the number of moving charged particles, instead...if you have an isoleated " charged particle " moving around, the magnetic field around it is always the same...just also moving, but is there is nothing around it who is to say that such magnetic field has a frequency? it does not, it is always of the same magnitude ...

anyway...starting to ramble too much

The magnetic field of a permanent magnet is created by the angular momentum of its electrons when they align correctly as a whole. While this angular momentum is NOT movement like you and I experience on our scale, it has the same effect. It effectively makes the electron a moving electric field source. In all other cases you must actually move charged particles/electric fields to create a magnetic field.

In the case of a magnetic field having a frequency, it is exactly the same way as an electric field having a frequency. Either the strength of the field changes repeatedly over time, or the polarity switches over time, just like an AC electric circuit works. If you wiggle an electron back and forth it creates EM waves along with an alternating magnetic field. Also, in a photon both the electric and magnetic fields have the same frequency. So not being able to have a magnetic field with a frequency would not allow a photon to exist!

I can confirm that magnetic frequencies are indeed a critical aspect of electromagnetism. Electromagnetism is the fundamental force that governs the behavior of electrically charged particles and their interactions with magnetic fields. This force is described by Maxwell's equations, which show how changes in electric fields can generate magnetic fields, and vice versa.

Magnetic frequencies refer to the different wavelengths and frequencies at which electromagnetic waves can propagate. These frequencies are determined by the speed of light and the properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling. So, while magnetic fields themselves are not waves, they can be influenced and generated by electromagnetic waves of specific frequencies.

It is also possible for different electromagnetic frequencies to generate different magnetic fields with varying properties. For example, higher frequencies can produce stronger and more complex magnetic fields, while lower frequencies may have weaker and simpler magnetic fields. This is because the strength and properties of a magnetic field are dependent on the frequency and intensity of the electromagnetic waves that create it.

In conclusion, understanding magnetic frequencies is crucial in exploring and understanding the complex interactions between electricity and magnetism in the field of electromagnetism. By studying these frequencies, we can gain a deeper understanding of how electromagnetic waves and magnetic fields work together to shape our world.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and the forces they create. It combines the study of electricity and magnetism into one unified field theory.

2. How do magnetic fields work?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. These fields exert a force on other moving charges, causing them to move in a circular or helical path around the magnetic field lines.

3. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications, such as in generators, electric motors, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in navigation tools like compasses and in data storage devices like hard drives.

4. How do magnetic fields affect living organisms?

There is ongoing research on the effects of magnetic fields on living organisms, but studies have shown that they can influence the behavior of certain animals and affect the growth of plants. It is also believed that magnetic fields may play a role in the navigation of migratory animals.

5. Can magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

In general, the magnetic fields that occur naturally on Earth are not harmful to humans. However, exposure to high levels of magnetic fields, such as those found near power lines or in MRI machines, can have negative effects on the body. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure when working with strong magnetic fields.