Magnetic globe

I'm trying to make a magnetic globe (magnetic from outside) with diameter of about 30 cm. Please imagine it as a snow globe, while it is magnetic as well :). I'm wondering about the options to make it, as light as possible.
Please feel free to suggest tags here, if I'm missing anything or I have put the message in the wrong thread :)
Thanks.
Behrouz

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Do you have any preferences for the direction and strength of magnetic field?

A good way to make such a globe is to have an electromagnet. The current will depend on the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

How do you plan to utilise the globe? Can it have wires wound around it on the outside? Or should the mechanism of creating the B-field be hidden inside the globe?

I'm trying to make a magnetic globe (magnetic from outside) with diameter of about 30 cm. Please imagine it as a snow globe, while it is magnetic as well :). I'm wondering about the options to make it, as light as possible.
Please feel free to suggest tags here, if I'm missing anything or I have put the message in the wrong thread :)
Thanks.
Behrouz
If you want to make it light then you should be thinking in terms of electromagnets.

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm trying to make a magnetic globe (magnetic from outside) with diameter of about 30 cm.
You could glue disk magnets to the surface of a balloon.

If you want better quality answers, you'll have to explain better what you are trying to accomplish.