Magnetic Help Due Midnight

• Thread starter phystudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude of the magnetic field in a region where a current is passing, given the force per unit length and current direction. The formula for force due to a magnetic field is discussed, and the suggestion to understand cross products and directions is given. A helpful resource is also recommended.
phystudent
I need help, I have no idea how to even start?

A 17 A current is directed along the positive x-axis and perpendicularly to a uniform magnetic field. The conductor experiences a magnetic force per unit length of 0:57 N=m in the negative y direction. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field in the region through which the current passes. Answer in units of T.

Physics news on Phys.org
phystudent said:
I need help, I have no idea how to even start?

A 17 A current is directed along the positive x-axis and perpendicularly to a uniform magnetic field. The conductor experiences a magnetic force per unit length of 0:57 N=m in the negative y direction. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field in the region through which the current passes. Answer in units of T.

Okay, so here, you are given the force per unit length, the current, and the direction. You need to figure out the B-field. Do you know of any formulas that might work here? Be careful of directions!

I have no idea what to do...my teacher gave me nothing If you could give me a formula and tell me what things mean that would be very helpful

Okay, so we know that if you have a particle moving in a magnetic field, it will experience a force. The direction of the force is perpendicular to that of the velocity and the magnetic field. Hence, the formula must have a cross-product. A general force equation is F = (q) (v) x (b) where q=charge, v=velocity, and b=magnetic field. In your case, you are given some current wire. Current is dQ/dt, and if you manipulate the above equation correctly, you will get something like: F = (I) (L) x (B). where I= current, L=length and B= b-field. In your case, you are given F/L, so all you need to do is divide the F/L by I and get your B-field.

I think that in order to solve any of these problems, you should first try and understand the cross product and the direction. you will encounter them throughout your study of magnetism.

1. What is magnetic help?

Magnetic help refers to the use of magnetic forces to assist in completing a task or achieving a goal. It can involve the use of magnets or magnetic fields to attract, repel, or manipulate objects.

2. How does magnetic help work?

Magnetic help works by utilizing the properties of magnets, such as attraction and repulsion. By strategically placing magnets or creating magnetic fields, objects can be moved or controlled without direct physical contact.

3. What are the benefits of using magnetic help?

There are several benefits of using magnetic help, including increased precision, reduced physical strain, and the ability to manipulate objects in hard-to-reach places. It can also be a safer and more efficient alternative to traditional methods.

4. What are some examples of magnetic help in everyday life?

Magnetic help can be seen in various applications, such as magnetic door latches, magnetic levitation trains, and magnetic tool holders. It is also commonly used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in household items like refrigerator magnets.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using magnetic help?

While magnetic help has many benefits, it also has some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for use with certain materials or in environments with extreme temperatures. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic force may weaken over time, requiring periodic maintenance or replacement.