Magnetic Induction: Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of right hand rules and Lenz's law to find the direction of current in a wire loop and the magnetic force exerted on a magnet. The speaker also mentions being confused about the role of a magnetic bar in relation to the wire loop and the difficulty in applying the right hand rule. They eventually figure out how to use Lenz's law to solve the first few questions, but are still unsure about finding the force on a circular loop.
mick5000x

Homework Statement

9YL68zw.jpg

Homework Equations

I am not really good at this topic, but I think you would need both the right hand rules (one that involves finding direction of current via magnetic field as well as the one for finding magnetic force)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew out magnetic lines going from the north pole to the south pole. I am completely lost from there though. How does a magnetic bar being pulled away or towards the wire loop play a role? I got that for A and B, the magnetic field lines are pointing downwards into the loop and for C and D the magnetic field are pointing upwards. Am I wrong in this logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied Lenz's law yet?

I figured out how to do the first couple questions using Lenz Law after a lot of reading. However, I still don't know how to relate magnetic force to a circular loop. I get that for A and B, the magnetic field lines are pointing in the loop while for C and D, the field lines are pointing away. How can I find the force from here? I tried to do the right hand rule but it doesn't work

Force exerted on the magnet will oppose its motion. It is consistent with the Lenz's law.

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field creates an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the early 19th century.

2. How does magnetic induction work?

Magnetic induction occurs when a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field. This causes the electrons in the conductor to move, creating an electric current. The strength of the induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the rate of change of the field.

3. What are some real-life applications of magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology for electronic devices and in metal detectors.

4. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and magnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction refers to the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. Magnetic induction, on the other hand, specifically refers to the creation of an electric current in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field.

5. How can I calculate the induced current in a conductor?

The induced current can be calculated using Faraday's law, which states that the magnitude of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field and the number of turns in the conductor. You can also use the equation V = -N(dΦ/dt), where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.