1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Launcher

1. May 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

HW13_4.jpg A sort of 'projectile launcher' is shown in the figure above. A large current moves in a closed loop composed of fixed conducting rails, a power supply, and a very light, almost frictionless metal bar touching the rails. A magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the circuit. If the bar has length L = 15.5 cm, mass m = 1.44 g, and is placed in a field of 1.96 T, what constant current flow is needed in order for it to accelerate to 30 m/s in a distance of 1.0 m?

•Start by finding the magnetic force on the bar, which determines its acceleration via Newton's second law F = ma.
    •The kinematic relation v2 = 2ax may be helpful (where v is the velocity attained by an object having acceleration a over a distance x.)

2. Relevant equations

F = I*B*L (current, magnetic field, length)

F = m*a

v^2 = 2ax where v is the velocity of object with an acceleration of a/x and x being the distnace

3. The attempt at a solution

F = I*B*L
    43.2 = I*(1.96T)(15.5*10^-2cm)
    I tried solving for I that way, which didn't work

I tried the velocity using the v^2 = 2ax equation that was given and I got 7.746

But I'm not quite sure what to do with this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where does the value 43.2 come from? You need the kinematics to find F.
    7.746 what? And how did you get it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted