Magnetic Levitation: Solving for Current I

In summary, the current going into the wire is Fg=.9238kg*L and the current going out of the wire is FB=I*L*B which is Fg.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

A straight 2.34-mm-diameter copper wire can just 'float' horizontally in air because of the force of the Earth's magnetic field B, which is horizontal, perpendicular to the wire, and of magnitude 5 × 10-5 T. What current I does the wire carry? (The density of copper is 8.96 g/cm3).

•The wire feels a downward gravitational force of magnitude mg, where m is mass and g = 9.80 m/s2 is the gravitational field strength near the Earth's surface.

Homework Equations

F = I*L*B sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
F = I*L*B
F = mg = mass of copper * Earth's gravitational field strength
(63.546*9.8) = I*(.234)(5*10^-5)

then solve for I

but I think I'm doing something wrong with the F (plugging in wrong values?)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is 63.546 and where does it come from?
Why did you use 0.234 (units?) as length?

If you use numbers that are not given in the problem statement (for exactly this quantity - like the magnetic field strength) you should explain what you are doing.
And please don't forget units. They help you to spot mistakes.

mfb said:
What is 63.546 and where does it come from?
Why did you use 0.234 (units?) as length?

63.546 is the mass of copper (used in equation F=ma)
and I convered 2.34mm to cm

Last edited by a moderator:
Angie K. said:
63.546 is the mass of copper (used in equation F=ma)
There is no 63.546 given in the problem statement, where does it come from? If you calculated it, how?
and I convered 2.34mm to cm
The diameter of the copper wire is 0.234cm, fine, but that is not its length (also, where is the point in using cm?).

mfb said:
There is no 63.546 given in the problem statement, where does it come from? If you calculated it, how?

It's just the atomic mass of copper and I thought I could use it to figure out some unknowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
mfb said:
The diameter of the copper wire is 0.234cm, fine, but that is not its length (also, where is the point in using cm?).

Length is 2pi*r which will be 1.17

That is the circumference, not the length.
Plugging random numbers into random formulas does not help.

So I got the volume to be: 6.7088

Then the mass is 60.11

And the length I'm having a hard time with. I guess it's more of a math issue for me than physics.

You keep posting numbers without an explanation how you got them, and without units.
Sorry, it is impossible to help like that.

Angie K. said:
Length is 2pi*r which will be 1.17
It's just a straight piece of copper wire, not a copper ring. We don't know its length, so denote it simply as ##\ l\ ##metres.

NascentOxygen said:
It's just a straight piece of copper wire, not a copper ring. We don't know its length, so denote it simply as ##\ l\ ##metres.

Isn't there a way to find the length by findung the volume or something? Because there's the given density of copper.

You don't know the length and there is no way to find it. The length does not matter, it will cancel out if you simplify the equations.

mfb said:
You don't know the length and there is no way to find it. The length does not matter, it will cancel out if you simplify the equations.

NascentOxygen said:
(8.96E3kg)/m3(Π*.001883m)*L=m
.094267kg/m*L=m

Fg=mg
Fg = (.094267kg/m*L)(9.80m/s)= .9238kg/s*L

FB = I*L*B which = Fg

magnetic field,

B = 2Πx10-7(2.08/.0571) sin 60
= 4.1610*10-5kg/A*s

So now FB=Fg
.9238kg*L = I*L(4.1610*10-5kg/A*s)

I = 22201.4 A which is a big number, and also wrong so please help.

Large, yes. I'm expecting it will be because the Earth's field is weak.

Where does the sin 60 come from?

Does the textbook give the correct answer?

NascentOxygen said:
Large, yes. I'm expecting it will be because the Earth's field is weak.

Does the textbook give the correct answer?

It is an online homework assignment so I don't know the answer until I get the right solution.

Please explain that sin 60.

It is an equilateral triangle so each angle is 60.

Angie K. said:
It is an equilateral triangle so each angle is 60.
One wire perpendicular to the field, where is the triangle?

NascentOxygen said:
One wire perpendicular to the field, where is the triangle?

For current going into the page the field goes to the right and the for current out of the page the field is to the left.

Is sin 60 the wrong angle ? Would it be 30?

I see only right angles. The wire is horizontal and perpendicular to the field.

NascentOxygen said:
I see only right angles. The wire is horizontal and perpendicular to the field.

Ah, so the Force is just ILB sin 90 which is ILB because sin90 is 1

Try that and see what the quiz thinks. Are you allowed an unlimited number of attempts?

NascentOxygen said:
Try that and see what the quiz thinks. Are you allowed an unlimited number of attempts?

Yes it is unlimited attempts.

NascentOxygen said:

That did not work. This is so frustrating.

Check you calculation for the volume of the piece of wire.

What is magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation, also known as maglev, is a method of suspending and propelling objects using magnetic fields.

How does magnetic levitation work?

Magnetic levitation works by using the repelling force between two magnets to lift an object off the ground and keep it suspended in mid-air. This force is created by using electromagnets and controlling the flow of current through them.

What is current I in magnetic levitation?

Current I refers to the electrical current that is passed through the electromagnets to create the magnetic field necessary for levitation. The strength and direction of this current can be adjusted to control the levitating force.

How is current I calculated in magnetic levitation?

The calculation of current I in magnetic levitation involves considering factors such as the weight of the object being levitated, the desired levitating force, and the properties of the electromagnets being used. It is typically calculated using mathematical equations and simulations.

What are the applications of magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation has various applications, including high-speed transportation systems, such as maglev trains, and research in material sciences. It can also be used for levitating and moving delicate objects, such as in medical procedures or manufacturing processes.