Magnetic Levitation magnitude of current

In summary, the magnetic fields from the bottom two wires do not add up linearly, and the suspended wire cannot support a current of 2 A.
GoldWing

Homework Statement

Three long parallel wires are a distance L = 5.71 cm from one another. (Looking at them, they are at three corners of an equilateral triangle.) The top wire has a diameter of 1.8 mm and is made of copper; it is suspended in air due to the magnetic forces from the bottom two wires. The current in each of the bottom two wires is I0 = 2.08 A into the page. Calculate the magnitude of the required current I in the suspended wire. (The density of copper is 8.96 g/cm3.)
HW14_6.jpg

Homework Equations

Force per length
F/L= (μ0/2Π)*(I1*I2/d)

Magnetic Force
FB = I*L*B

Magnetic Field
B=μ0/2Π*I/r,
OR
B= 2Πx10-7(I/d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Fg will have to equal the Fb to keep the wire suspended. First, I found the mass of the wire by using the density,

D=M/V
DV=M
D*A*L=M
(8.96E3kg)/m3(Π*.001882m)*L=m
.0995kg/m*L=m

Then I can find Fg, so Fg=mg
Fg = (.0995kg/m*L)(9.80m/s)= .975kg/s*L

Then FB = I*L*B is equal to Fg, but first I need to find the magnetic field.
B = 2Πx10-7(2.08/.0571)*2
= 4.58*10-5kg/A*s
I multiplied by two because the magnetic fields add up, since both fields are going clockwise.

So now FB=Fg
.975kg*L = I*L(4.58*10-5kg/A*s)

Solving for I, I get 2.13*104A, even before I check the answer I know that it's wrong because it's a ridiculously large number. Please help me, I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
GoldWing said:
Solving for I, I get 2.13*104A, even before I check the answer I know that it's wrong because it's a ridiculously large number. Please help me, I'm not sure where I went wrong.
It is a ridiculously large number, but here it tells you that levitation does not work with currents of 2 A in the bottom wires. I didn't check if every number is right but the order of magnitude is correct.

(the system would also be unstable, without suspension the wire would escape towards one side quickly.)

mfb said:
It is a ridiculously large number, but here it tells you that levitation does not work with currents of 2 A in the bottom wires. I didn't check if every number is right but the order of magnitude is correct.

(the system would also be unstable, without suspension the wire would escape towards one side quickly.)

I'm not sure what you mean. Wasn't I supposed to use 2.08A as my currents?

Yes, and your answer is correct.
"does not work" was meant in terms of a practical realization.

Hmm.. where did you consider the direction of the force? I don't see that part in your calculation.
The magnetic fields don't add up linearly, as they point in different directions.

mfb said:
Yes
, and your answer is correct.
"does not work" was meant in terms of a practical realization.

Hmm.. where did you consider the direction of the force? I don't see that part in your calculation.
The magnetic fields don't add up linearly, as they point in different directions.

I considered the direction of to be going up (according to the right hand rule, current goes out of page, filed goes counterclockwise so the force is up) , and please correct me if I'm wrong.

The direction is not "up". It is angled, corresponding to the lines "L" between the wires for each lower wire.

That makes sense and I wasn't sure when that would come into play, so would I take the sin of 60 since it's an equilateral triangle and multiply it by the force? And add the forces from both wires?

Thank you so much! :smile:

1. What is magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation is a phenomenon where an object is suspended in the air using magnetic forces without any physical contact.

2. How does magnetic levitation work?

Magnetic levitation works by using electromagnets to create a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the object, causing it to float.

3. What is the magnitude of current required for magnetic levitation?

The magnitude of current required for magnetic levitation varies depending on the weight and size of the object, as well as the strength of the magnetic field being produced. Generally, higher currents are required for heavier objects.

4. What are the applications of magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation has various applications, including transportation (such as maglev trains), energy storage, and scientific experiments. It can also be used for precision measurements and as a method for suspending delicate objects.

5. What are the advantages of using magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation has several advantages, including reduced friction, increased stability, and the ability to levitate objects without physical contact. It also has potential for use in high-speed transportation systems, as it can eliminate the need for wheels and tracks.