Can the Principles of Magnetic Gears be Applied to a Linear Drive System?

In summary: Overall, it is possible to create a linear drive system using the same principles as magnetic gears, but careful planning and testing will be necessary to ensure its success.
voltech444
I am trying to build a simple linear drive that is similar to a rack and pinion drive. Others have successfully built such devices with magnetic gears except i want mine to work a little bit different. Basically the system has two racks and one pinion; when you move one rack, the other moves in the opposite direction. I saw a video on you tube that uses an iron peg in between two magnetic gears; this causes the gears to move in the same direction, if you took away the peg they would spin counter to each other just like normal mechanical gears would. Indeed Magnomatics uses this effect in their electric motor to make a new more powerful motor.

What I would like to do is use that same effect; basically rolling those gears out flat and putting multiple iron pegs, to make a linear drive system. I have included a sketch of what I am proposing, and also a few links to the videos that show this effect in action. From my basic understanding, the fundamentals of a conventional electric motor/generator and a linear motor/generator are the same; so if this effect works for magnetic gears it should also work for a linear system. Am I correct in assuming this? I would like to build a prototype but I figured this would be a good place to start, thank you very much for your input!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm7lxYh5C_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyBTE5cjGDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpHMZ9L4P8

Jordan

Attachments

• magneticdrive.jpg
    magneticdrive.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 420
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to use the same effect as magnetic gears in a linear drive system. The principles behind conventional electric motors and linear motors are the same; therefore, if the effect works for magnetic gears, it should also work for a linear system. However, there are some important considerations to make when designing such a system. For example, you should consider the amount and type of force that will be needed to move the racks and pinion, as well as the materials that will need to be used to ensure the system can withstand the forces and remain durable over time. Additionally, you should look into the types of controllers and sensors that may be necessary for the system to function properly.

What is a Magnetic Linear Drive?

A Magnetic Linear Drive is a type of linear motor that uses magnetic fields to create motion in a linear direction. It is a form of electromagnetic propulsion and is commonly used in various industrial and transportation applications.

How does a Magnetic Linear Drive work?

A Magnetic Linear Drive consists of a stator, which contains a series of coils, and a mover, which is a permanent magnet. When an electric current is applied to the stator, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet on the mover, causing it to move in a linear direction.

What are the advantages of using a Magnetic Linear Drive?

There are several advantages to using a Magnetic Linear Drive. It has a high power-to-weight ratio, meaning it can produce a significant amount of force without being heavy. It also has a simple design and does not require any mechanical contact, making it more reliable and durable. Additionally, it has precise control and can achieve high speeds and accelerations.

What are the applications of Magnetic Linear Drives?

Magnetic Linear Drives are commonly used in manufacturing and assembly lines, transportation systems (such as trains and magnetic levitation systems), and laboratory equipment. They can also be found in various consumer products, such as printers and disk drives.

Are there any limitations to using Magnetic Linear Drives?

One limitation of Magnetic Linear Drives is their high initial cost. They also require precise alignment and can be affected by external magnetic fields. Additionally, they may produce electromagnetic interference, which can be a problem in certain sensitive environments.