Exploring Magnetic Materials for 9th Graders: Zinc vs. Stainless Steel Fasteners

In summary: However, if you had a magnet that was 5 or 6 Tesla in strength, you might be able to create a force on the coin.
SDTK
I am putting together a hands on activity for ninth graders, which will include testing different materials to determine whether they are attracted to a magnet.
I have collected fasteners (screws, nails, bolts), and surprised that the fasteners I purchased labeled "zinc" are attracted to the magnet, but the "stainless" fasteners are not.
Can anyone offer insight?
---- Are zinc screws/bolts coated with magnetic material?
--- Does stainless steel not contain iron?

Physics news on Phys.org
SDTK said:
---- Are zinc screws/bolts coated with magnetic material?
Some materials are galvanized meaning that they are coated with a layer of zinc. The fasteners are probably made of steel and have been galvanized to prevent them from rusting.
SDTK said:
Does stainless steel not contain iron?
Some types of stainless steel are not magnetic while other types are. It depends on the atomic structure of the metal. The stainless steel you have is probably austenitic rather than ferritic stainless steel, so it is not magnetic.

Just because something contains iron does not make it magnetic. Rust in the form of Fe2O3 is barely magnetic, even though it is mostly iron.

Likes davenn and SDTK
NFuller said:
Some materials are galvanized meaning that they are coated with a layer of zinc. The fasteners are probably made of steel and have been galvanized to prevent them from rusting.

Some types of stainless steel are not magnetic while other types are. It depends on the atomic structure of the metal. The stainless steel you have is probably austenitic rather than ferritic stainless steel, so it is not magnetic.

Just because something contains iron does not make it magnetic. Rust in the form of Fe2O3 is barely magnetic, even though it is mostly iron.
Thank you. This helps!

If I have a very strong magnet, could I possibly use it to attract a US nickle? ( The coins are 75% copper, 25% nickle)

SDTK said:
If I have a very strong magnet, could I possibly use it to attract a US nickle? ( The coins are 75% copper, 25% nickle)
Although nickel is a ferromagnetic metal, US nickels are not very magnetic. With a strong enough magnet however, you may be able to get a noticeable force on the coin.

Likes SDTK
SDTK said:
Thank you. This helps!

With a "very strong" magnetic field, you can even levitate a frog!

At this point, you should be having some quantitative numbers to consider if it can be done, rather than putting out unspecified possibilities. Anything in a strong enough magnetic field can be induced to have some amount of magnetization. But I doubt if you have anything approaching 4 Tesla sitting anywhere that you can easily access.

Zz.

Likes SDTK
ZapperZ said:
With a "very strong" magnetic field, you can even levitate a frog!

At this point, you should be having some quantitative numbers to consider if it can be done, rather than putting out unspecified possibilities. Anything in a strong enough magnetic field can be induced to have some amount of magnetization. But I doubt if you have anything approaching 4 Tesla sitting anywhere that you can easily access.

Zz.
No, ... don't have anything that strong sitting around, but I may quote your frog comment to my students :-)

NFuller said:
Although nickel is a ferromagnetic metal, US nickels are not very magnetic. With a strong enough magnet however, you may be able to get a noticeable force on the coin.
thanks your comments are very helpful :-)

Suspend any small objects made from weakly magnetic material on threads .

Last edited:
SDTK said:

Magnetism is not a property of nickel atoms, but rather of bulk nickel. The alloy used in US nickel is quite non-magnetic.

1. What are magnetic materials?

Magnetic materials are substances that have the ability to produce a magnetic field and attract or repel other magnets. They are typically made up of atoms with unpaired electrons, which allow them to align and create a magnetic field.

2. What are the different types of magnetic materials?

There are three main types of magnetic materials: ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, and diamagnetic. Ferromagnetic materials, such as iron and nickel, have strong permanent magnetic properties. Paramagnetic materials, like aluminum and platinum, are weakly attracted to magnets. Diamagnetic materials, including copper and gold, are not attracted to magnets at all.

3. How are magnetic materials used in everyday life?

Magnetic materials have numerous applications in our daily lives. They are used in electronics, such as hard drives and speakers, as well as in medical imaging machines like MRI scanners. They are also used in household items like refrigerator magnets and in industrial applications, such as separating metals in recycling facilities.

4. Can magnetic materials lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnetic materials can lose their magnetism over time due to various factors such as exposure to heat, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, some materials, like iron, can be easily magnetized again by placing them in a strong magnetic field.

5. Are there any health risks associated with magnetic materials?

In general, magnetic materials are not harmful to our health. However, strong magnetic fields, such as those used in medical imaging machines, can have potential side effects like dizziness, nausea, or interference with pacemakers. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when working with strong magnetic materials.