Magnetic Mirrors: Exploring Conservation & Torque in Plasma Physics

In summary, the magnetic mirror is an idea that explains the reflection of ions along parallel B-field lines. When an ion moves along these lines, it loses kinetic energy, and if it's not too fast, it gets reflected back. The z-velocity decreases and the angular momentum is conserved.
Loro
I'm taking a short course in plasma physics, and we've covered quickly the magnetic mirror.

So the idea is that an ion, say a proton, moves along a helical path along parallel B-field lines - say in z-direction. Then the lines converge towards the z-axis, forming a shape like a bottleneck, with the B-field strength increasing in the direction of the narrow part; and on that converging bit, if the proton is not too fast, it gets slowed down, and reflected back.

So the way our lecturer explained it to us is that the z-velocity [itex] v_{z} [/itex] of the proton decreases, and that this kinetic energy has to go somewhere, because energy is conserved (B-field can't do work) so it gets converted into the energy of the rotational component of its motion (around the B-field lines) and so the tangential velocity [itex] v_{\bot} [/itex] increases.

Then it comes to a stop and this process reverses.

With all that I agree. I'm rarely satisfied with these sorts of explanations, but I drew it, etc. and found where the forces responsible for these changes in motion come from.

So from [itex] v_{\bot} × B [/itex] , there follows a force, that on average has got a component in z-direction, and that's what's stopping it.

Then from [itex] v_{z} × B [/itex], there follows a force which is always tangential and is speeding the rotations up. And if we calculate the energy loss due to these forces, we indeed get 0.

Then the lecturer says, that angular momentum wrt the z-axis is conserved too - from that he derives [itex] v_{z}[/itex] as a function of B (because B increases along the z-axis), and calculates that the B, at which the "stop" occurs, is:

[itex]B=B_{0} (\frac{v_{\bot 0}^2 + v_{z 0}^2}{v_{\bot 0}^2} ) [/itex]

where these quantities with zero are meant to be: before it entered the bottleneck.

And I know this formula is correct, however I can't agree that the angular momentum is conserved. There is this force that's speeding the rotations up - it clearly has got a torque. I told it to the lecturer and he said, that the angular momentum is conserved, "because it can't go anywhere"...

What's the true explanation, or my mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Angular momentum is v x r. As you increase B, the force v x B increases, forcing a smaller radius. At the same time, the torque you mention increases the speed, so that in the end the angular momentum v x r remains constant.

In the adiabatic approximation, the kinetic energy of the particle (mostly electrons!) is conserved. If you assume that both energy and angular momentum are conserved, then you end up with the exchange between v_parallel and v_perp that eventually gives v_parallel=0 at the reflection point.

Keep in mind that this is only an approximation. The higher order terms beyond this "adiabatic approximation" are called drifts, and there are grad B x B drifts, E x B drifts, ...

Thanks,

We did cover drifts, and apparently the "braking" force here might me explained by a [itex]\nabla B \times B [/itex] drift, caused by the radial gradient of the field. This gives the same force, as the one we get from Lorentz.

When you say it's just an approximation - how can the energy not be conserved? - if it wasn't then the B-field would have to do work!

The interesting thing is that the two effects that you said about, just cancel each other out to conserve momentum. So I guess my question is - is there any deeper explanation of this conspiracy?

I would have to dig out my plasma physics book to give a more detailed answer...

The approximation is that angular momentum is conserved. In a static magnetic field, energy should be conserved exactly - just as you point out.

I think grad B x B is pointing the wrong way. It should cause drift around the axis of the bottleneck.

Loro said:
There is this force that's speeding the rotations up - it clearly has got a torque.
Isn't the force at right angles to the motion, i.e. centripetal? That would mean there is no torque.

haruspex, the [itex] v_{\bot} × B [/itex] is perpendicular to the rotational motion, and doesn't have a torque.

But [itex] v_{z} × B [/itex] does point tangentially and causes the [itex] \nabla B × B [/itex] drift mentioned by M Quack.

So yeah thanks a lot M Quack, I think the explanation that it's an approximation, helps me.

But still it's quite mysterious, because if it's an approximation, then the angular momentum is at least very close to being conserved, while there's a tangential force changing the motion quite dramatically, and I guess there must be some reason for that, that I don't understand.

...Or is it just because the angle between [itex] v_{z} [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] is so small, that the approximation works, and if the bottleneck was steeper - it wouldn't?

What are magnetic mirrors?

Magnetic mirrors are devices used in plasma physics to confine and control plasma particles using magnetic fields. They consist of two or more magnetic coils arranged in a mirror-like configuration.

How do magnetic mirrors work?

Magnetic mirrors work by creating a magnetic field that is strongest at the ends of the mirror and weaker in the middle. This causes plasma particles to experience a force that reflects them back and forth between the mirrors. This confinement allows for the study of plasma behavior and the generation of fusion reactions.

What is conservation in plasma physics?

Conservation in plasma physics refers to the principles that govern the behavior of plasma particles. These principles include the conservation of energy, momentum, and charge. Understanding these principles is crucial in designing and operating experiments in plasma physics.

What is torque in plasma physics?

Torque in plasma physics refers to the twisting force that is applied to an object due to the magnetic field. In the context of magnetic mirrors, torque is used to control and manipulate the plasma particles, allowing for more precise confinement and study of their behavior.

What are the applications of magnetic mirrors?

Magnetic mirrors have a variety of applications in plasma physics, including fusion research, space propulsion, and materials processing. They are also used in medical research for the study of plasma in the human body and in the development of new medical treatments.