Magnetic Moment of a crystal

In summary, the magnetic moment of a crystal can be found by considering the effects of temperature and magnetic field strength. At high temperatures and weak magnetic fields, the mean magnetic moment is given by 2Nμ²B/3kT. At low temperatures and strong magnetic fields, the mean magnetic moment is simply equal to Nμ.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic moment of a crystal when placed

(i) in a weak field at high temperature

(ii) in a strong field at low temperature

Homework Equations

This is the last part of a question which I feel I have solved correctly up until this point.

The mean magnetic moment I found is

[tex]\langle M \rangle = N_{\mu} \frac{2 \sinh \Big{(}\dfrac{\mu \beta}{kT}\Big{)}}{1+ \cosh \Big{(}\dfrac{\mu \beta}{kT}\Big{)}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well at high temperature and low magnetic field strength

[tex]\dfrac{\mu \beta}{kT} \ll 1[/tex]

And at low temperature high magnetic field strength

[tex]\dfrac{\mu \beta}{kT} \gg 1[/tex]

What happens to the hyperbolic functions as one goes to [itex]0[/itex] and one goes to [itex]\infty[/itex]?

EDIT: I know what happens as [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\sinh x = e^x[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\cosh x = e^x[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume your crystal is paramagnetic. You might see what's going more easily if you cast the hyperbolic functions in terms of exponentials, then take the limits.

(i)Weak field at high temperature

[tex]\dfrac{\mu B}{kT} \ll 1 \implies e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}} \approx 1 \pm \dfrac{\mu B}{kT}[/tex]

From my mean magnetic moment[tex]M= N\mu \dfrac{e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}}-e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}}}{1 + e^{-\frac{\mu B}{kT}} + e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}}}[/tex]

substituting [itex]e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}} = 1 \pm \dfrac{\mu B}{kT}[/itex]

[tex]M = \dfrac{1+\frac{\mu B}{kT} -1 + \frac{\mu B}{kT}}{1+1-\frac{\mu B}{kT} + 1 + \frac{\mu B}{KT}} = \dfrac{2N\mu^2 B}{3kT}[/tex]

(ii) Strong field at low temperature

[tex]\dfrac{\mu B}{kT} \gg 1 \implies e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}} \gg 1 \pm e^{-\frac{\mu B}{kT}} \gg 1[/tex]

Hence

[tex]M= N\mu \dfrac{e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}}}{e^{\frac{\mu B}{kT}}}= N\mu [/tex]

Looks right. At the high temperature end you get the 1/T Curie law dependence. At low temperature, only (mostly) the ground state is occupied and the magnetization is the number of magnetic moments times the value of one moment.

Likes patrickmoloney
kuruman said:
Looks right. At the high temperature end you get the 1/T Curie law dependence. At low temperature, only (mostly) the ground state is occupied and the magnetization is the number of magnetic moments times the value of one moment.
Much appreciated. Insight into these types of problems helps a lot. Thanks

1. What is the magnetic moment of a crystal?

The magnetic moment of a crystal is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic properties of the crystal. It is a vector quantity that describes the alignment of the magnetic moments of the atoms within the crystal.

2. How is the magnetic moment of a crystal related to its structure?

The magnetic moment of a crystal is closely related to its atomic and crystal structure. The arrangement of atoms and their magnetic properties, such as spin and orbital angular momentum, determine the overall magnetic moment of the crystal.

3. Can the magnetic moment of a crystal be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a crystal can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as applying an external magnetic field, changing the temperature, or modifying the crystal's composition or structure.

4. What factors affect the magnetic moment of a crystal?

The magnetic moment of a crystal can be affected by several factors, including the type and arrangement of atoms, the strength of the magnetic field, temperature, and external influences such as stress or strain on the crystal.

5. How is the magnetic moment of a crystal measured?

The magnetic moment of a crystal can be measured using various techniques, such as magnetometry, neutron scattering, or electron spin resonance. These methods involve analyzing the response of the crystal to an external magnetic field and using mathematical equations to calculate its magnetic moment.