Deriving the magnetic moment of a specimen in a given magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves finding the equation of an atom's energy in a magnetic field and showing that it is equal to the given expression. The attempt at a solution involved setting up an equation using the given equations, but resulted in an incorrect value. The correct formatting for equations can be found in the LaTeX primer under INFO, Help/HowTo.
1v1Dota2RightMeow

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem that says that
>If $\varepsilon_{\pm}=\mp (\mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N} )$ is the energy of the atom of a specimen that can orient itself either parallel or antiparallel in a magnetic field, show that $ \frac{M}{\mu N}= tanh(\frac{1}{kT}( \mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N}))$.

I'm not really sure how to make the 2 equal.

Homework Equations

$M=\mu Ntanh(x)$
$x=\frac{\mu B}{kT}$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting $\frac{\mu B}{kT}= \frac{1}{kT}(\mu \mu_0 H + k\theta \frac{M}{\mu N})$ but it ended up with $\muB=0$ which can't be true.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just reformatting for you.
1v1Dota2RightMeow said:

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem that says that
> If ##\varepsilon_{\pm}=\mp (\mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N} )## is the energy of the atom of a specimen that can orient itself either parallel or antiparallel in a magnetic field, show that ## \frac{M}{\mu N}= tanh(\frac{1}{kT}( \mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N}))##.

I'm not really sure how to make the 2 equal.

Homework Equations

##M=\mu Ntanh(x)##
##x=\frac{\mu B}{kT}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting ##\frac{\mu B}{kT}= \frac{1}{kT}(\mu \mu_0 H + k\theta \frac{M}{\mu N})## but it ended up with ## \mu B=0## which can't be true.

MisterX said:
This is just reformatting for you.

How do I format my questions like that?

1. What is the definition of magnetic moment?

The magnetic moment of a specimen is a measure of the strength and direction of its magnetic field. It is a vector quantity that is represented by the product of the specimen's magnetic dipole moment and its magnetic field strength.

2. How is magnetic moment measured?

Magnetic moment is typically measured using a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The specimen is placed in the magnetometer and a reading is taken to determine its magnetic moment.

3. What factors affect the magnetic moment of a specimen?

The magnetic moment of a specimen is affected by its composition, shape, size, and temperature. The type of material and its magnetic properties also play a role in determining the magnetic moment.

4. What are some practical applications of magnetic moment measurement?

Magnetic moment measurements are used in a variety of fields such as geology, materials science, and engineering. It is also crucial in the development of magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives and magnetic tapes.

5. Can the magnetic moment of a specimen be changed?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a specimen can be changed by applying an external magnetic field or by altering its composition or structure. This is the basis for technologies such as magnetic data storage and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).